We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent...
11 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how long it would take by taxi from Puerto Plata to Cabarete and roughly how much they would charge us for the trip?

Also, if anyone could tell us about Cabarete in terms of activities, food and safety that would be great!

Thanks

louisiana
Level Contributor
757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

hi

i think i paid 30 us and it was under an hour but i really don't remember...the ride was enjoyable for me ,,,the town has shops,bars w/ dancing and good places to eat, beach activities...but there is also a range of adventures you can do with tour groups ex; rafting,off roading,horse back riding...as far as safety,i travel alone and have never had any trouble..just use comman sense...

Stoke-on-Trent...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Is thay $30 for the whole trip, there and back? or $30 each way? thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

IIRC, the official one-way fare from the airport to Cabarete a few months back was $35. Puerto Plata to Cabarete is roughly twice the distance, so you do the math - bring lots of money!

Absurd prices, if you ask me.

If you take a guagua (a small bus) with the locals, it should only be a few dollars. You can google for details.

Stoke-on-Trent...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Really?? Wow thats expensive! I found this web site (follow the link)and it says that it should be $40 one way? Is this not right then?

cabareteguide.com/Guide/…20taxis.html

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

The airport taxis are expensive and fixed priced. From the city I would guess about US$40 each way max. The gua-gua would be about RD$100 each way (less than US$3). This can be quite an experience!

Cabarete is a great town! My non-commercial web site www.cabarete.org has some info about the town & country (although I've just noticed that since I moved the site to a new server, some of the photos have gone missing).

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,177 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

The official fare from POP (airport) to Cabarete is US$35. The ride takes about 35 minutes.

On activities in Cabarete, check out the activecabarete site. Main activities are windsurfing, kitesuring and surfing. Many tours are available in and around the area. Tour companies advertise also on activecabarete.

Food safety is not a problem but as a precaution you may want to avoid fresh vegetables in some small establishments. More importantly, don't drink tap water or use it to brush your teeth. Ice cubes are fine.

General safety precautions: leave your valuables in the safe of your hotel room, lock your doors (including balcony doors) on your way out and while in your room sleeping. Don't take too much cash with you when you go out, and no gold jewelry. Same precautions you probably take while traveling in any developing country. It's safe for women to walk alone at night. A bit more complicated if you're a man (just be extra careful with your wallet and cell phone).

Street or beach vendors: if you're not interested, just give them a firm but polite NO, and they will leave you alone.

Hope you have a fun and enjoyable stay in Cabarete.

Silvia

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Sylvia, the original question was the price of a taxi from Puerto Plata to Cabarete. The airport is a bit of a red herring because it was assumed that the PoP-Cab price would be 'about twice' the airport price (as I understood it anyway!) As you are local there, would you agree that a tourist should be able to get a taxi from the city to Cabarete for about $40?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,177 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

Sorry, I missed that. I thought giuse19 meant POP since is also asking about food and safety. I'm not sure how much a cab from Puerto Plata would cost, but I would expect it to cost a bit more than US$40. cab from Cabarete to Sosua (actually to El Batey) is US$25 now. I think it's outrageous, but I haven't been able to negotiate it for less lately.

9. Re: Puerto Plata to Cabarete by taxi????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:20