We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness at the Rius?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Sickness at the Rius?

Has anyone any more news about the sickness and diarrhoa at the Rius? After reading the last review on here I am a bit worried as I am thinking of booking and this is putting me off.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

Hi madmol,

We were there at the Riu Mambo back in June.

We had NO issues with sickness at any time through our holiday. It was all fantastic and clean.

Basically you are in a different country and food is different anywhere you go and your sytstem has to get used to it. What we did is to eat ONLY cooked food to begin with then slowly start with the cold food (salads, etc....) to climatise your system to the changes.

I suspect that some of the people who suffered sickness and diarrhoa ate everything and lots of it!!

Drink lots of (bottled) water.

Take some immodium just in case (we did but never had to use it!!)

Hope this helps

Martin

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

Just to let you know we are one of the families that was very ill when we visited 4 years ago. The illness problems started the end of November and continued until June the following year till they decided to close for 2 weeks to break the cycle. All the so called experts blamed it on everything but the resort and that people were making it up.

I'm not saying this is a repeat of what happened years ago but be cautious. There are hundreds of other resorts to go to that haven't had this problem so if you are hesitant don't feel bad. We sure wouldn't take the chance on a resort indicating this health problem. Google "food poisoning in Riu Mambo, Riu Merengue". Read the article sickness returns riu mambo.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

We were there in January and February 2008. We ate and drank everything. We always wash our hands at home and abroad. We also eat alot of yogurt at home and away. We didn't hear of anyone getting sick while we were there either, except those who drank too much. Enjoy the resort. The Bachata is the only one that has a swim up bar, and fewer children.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

We were there in January and February 2008. We ate and drank everything. We always wash our hands at home and abroad. We also eat alot of yogurt at home and away. We didn't hear of anyone getting sick while we were there either, except those who drank too much. Enjoy the resort. The Bachata is the only one that has a swim up bar, and fewer children.

London, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

Me and my partner were there From 18th April 2008 Till 5th May 2008 and i have to say we both eat very differently at times so between us probably tried everything served and neither of us had any problems, i never heard of any problems around at the time we were there either. I Noticed that the place is very clean and although you have the usual facilities to wash they still offer you hand sanitiser, We were told by our Rep that u should try to limit to 3 of some of the alcocol Slush's as too many of some can go through you, same with the fruit as it is very fresh. Hope This helps. LDL.

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

You can get these outbreaks at any large resort, in any country, at any time. (Look at the cruises that have had outbreaks!).

Yes, you must wash your hands but so must everyone else.

The staff using the anticeptic hands gels as you enter the restaurants is a great idea, but unfortunately people do walk past without doing it - and of course the kitchen staff must use it too.

Sensible precautions will help to reduce your risk but cannot rule it out completely. As in the post above and remember to give preference to fruit that you peal yourself such as bananas, oranges etc. Avoid water melon - the name says it all! Oh and remember than a single shell fish that has gone off can really cause you problems out of all proportion to its size!

The only time my husband felt a little bit off in the four years we have been going was when he ate some fish in a casserole - we then realised it had probably been reheated - eat the food that is being cooked freshly, preferably in front of you.

Happy safe holidays.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

We were at the Riu Mambo beginning of June this year. We found the place spotless, ladies with hand gel at the food areas and toilets and no word of anyone else with any sickness problems. In fact we have traveled to many AI hotels in many countries and this was the first time my husband was not affected with any S&D problems.

We witnessed some people walking past the ladies without using the hand gel but I think it should be made compulsary and entrance to the restaurant should not be permitted if you chose not to use the hand gel. We also used the restaurants at the Merengue and Bachata again no probs.

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

Don't worry a bit. It was a one time incident to the hotel that unfortunately got people sick and the media take it and kill everything there. That was then and this is now. You'll be just fine and actually the Riu's are famous for having some of the best Chef's of any of the resorts. Great cuisine, no worries. If you think you might be sensitive to soemthing, I promote a pill my doctor recommended years ago to me. Lomotil. I call it the super pill. If I have even a hint of anything that might happen, I take one and it's great right after. And the prescription pill is actually a lot cheaper than buying all that crap on the shelf of the drug stores that weigh down your bag. I keep Lomotil with me all the time for safety and have never used them in the Dominican. First world preparation always. These are great hotels and they can't afford a reputation burying them.

Common sense with the buffets and any food sitting under a heat lamp for extended hours. AND keep yourself hydrated with lots of water regardless of the liquor/pop/etc.... It's all purified other than the room taps and they'll fill your room with bottles no problem.

Good Luck and enjoy!

9. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2010, 12:29
Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sickness at the Rius?

Well that's sad news. One of what your saying at the hotel and two that you'd never return to the Dominican. I guess my bias' have come out but having been on the island for over 11 years now, well travelled on the North Shore, extended family and friends throughout the North Shore, knowing many of the GM's at the resorts (although I don't know the GM for the Riu's), I guess it's subjective to who/what.

No they aren't my favorite hotels in Puerto Plata as I'd take Sun Village any day over the Riu and pay a bit more, but everyone I know that's gone there has raved about them and have been very happy. I can understand how an experience would turn a person off though but to communicate with Sol de Tours, Air Transat (Sunquest), etc....they actually get those three Riu's in Puerto Plata at capacity even in July and August and not from locals but Europeans and North Americans.

Well sorry you had a very bad experience and more so that it dictated not ever returning. It's a beautiful Island, incredibly passionate loving passive spanish and in all my years as the "Gringo" I've only come to enjoy it all as per my frequency. The beaches are "so so" compared to other parts of the island and other islands true, but the people are awesome.

Riu's have an outstanding reputation and let's hope things turn out well for anyone going there. We wouldn't want that to put them off from never returning to the Dominican again. Afterall, it's only a building in the Dominican and the North Shore is to be explored and enjoyed with safety/security as it's widely reknowned for.

Best wishes on your next trip!