We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US dollars os dominican pesos??

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
US dollars os dominican pesos??

which is the preferred currency in the dominican, US dollars or the dominican peso? I am staying at the bahia pricipe in september,wondering what currency to get?

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US dollars os dominican pesos??

think the general opinion of this forum is, if you are staying mostly in your hotel, and just doing trips then dollars are fine.

if however you are going out and about in local towns etc then peso.

we took dollars and managed just fine, got a bit of change in peso but just used this for tips

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US dollars os dominican pesos??

As above has said. Main reasons being exchange, whatever you buy and where you buy, they can give you a bad exchange rate from US$ into pesos, work out what you owe in US$ and then change it back so you do end up paying more, it is up to the individual how much, even in the hotel shops you will find this. They also usually give you change in pesos so you will end up with both currencies if you take dollars.

My advice is to take $50 US, each, the rest in pesos.

Even better is to open a Nationwide Flex account, you can withdraw from the cashpoints without a charge so you need only take a small amount of cash with you.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US dollars os dominican pesos??

Agree entirely with Scrubmuncher

...is that a first?? ;-)

Just to add, even without the Flex account mentioned, Barclays & HSBC debit cards both work out as better deals for direct withdrawls than exchanges elsewhere, even with the charges. Note 'debit' cards not 'credit' which is likely to be expensive.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: US dollars os dominican pesos??

I would take mostly pesos. I take about £100 in dollars, then the rest in pesos, as like evryone has said, you will most likely get your change in pesos. Don't know what the Bahia Principe is like reguarding exchanging travellers cheques, but soemtimes they will onyl change them into pesos, regardless if they are sterling or dollar tc... just a bit of extra info!

Kirst

5. Re: US dollars os dominican pesos??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:17