We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria precautions?

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria precautions?

Hi, we are on our way to DR next Wednesday from Gatwick, staying at the Gran Ventana for two weeks. I've been trying to find out if we should be taking any Malaria precautions. Had a look on the net but get conflicting information. Some say no precautions necessary, some say absolutely?

Any advice appreciated?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria precautions?

your choice to make however the general advice is if you will be visiting haiti while you are there then yes you should.

However there have been no cases of malaria in northern dom rep for years.

The american doctors never tell american travellers to take malaria tablets maybe our doctors and chemists are wanting to make a fast buck.

I took them the first time I went but been back a futher 5 times and havent taken them since.

It is quite funny because before our 2nd visit I asked a small local chemist and he called some help line and he said no tablets needed as no malaria in dom rep, my husband went to boots on same day who tried to sell him £20 worth of tablets without refering to any guidelines.

As I said its your choice

Have a great holiday

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria precautions?

They should make this topic a sticky.

Once again it seems to be a UK thing. It seems that 90% or more of visitors that ask this question are from the UK region.

The CDC in the US does NOt reccomend taking meds. There have been NO reported cases in the north coast area in many years. Last year there was one case reported in a visitor to the Punta Cana area.

Ultimatly the choice is yours.

BObK

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria precautions?

"They should make this topic a sticky."

Too right! I've just done a search for "Malaria" on the DR forums and found 1720 threads!

To summarise, It's a Brit thing, individual choice, personally I don't.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria precautions?

PHAC and CDC Health Travel Advisories do not cover the Puerto Plata area.

information can be found here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147293-c80058/Punta-…

Consult your doctor and take their advice, whether you are from the UK or Timbuktu....medical advice should never be rendered on a public forum.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria precautions?

Ask your Doctor...I know these forums are filled with great information, as I have been using them for years, but really a dicussion about medications or vaccinations should be had with your doctor.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria precautions?

"Consulting" is only part of the story. Part of it is knowing what questions to ask.

"Should I take anti-malaria tabs in the Dominican Republic?" is one thing...

What are the side effects?

What are the risks?

What are the chances of catching malaria?

Are all areas of the Dominican Republic equally at risk?

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the risk?

And the key one...

"Would you recommend anti-malarial medication to a member of your family travelling there?"

No question, malaria is a killer disease. What needs to be considered is the likelihood of actually coming in to contact with it in relationship to the potential side effects, only then you can make an INFORMED choice...

7. Re: Malaria precautions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:18