We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

Hi Guys,

No doubt this topic has been posted a few times - but being from Australia - I don't know what someone means when they say 'an American' plug would work.

What type of adaptor would I need to use (is an international one that I use in EU and Asia appropriate?). Maybe some clever person may even have a pic - or a link to a pic so I know what to look out for.

Thanks for any help you could offer me!

Cheers,

Misha

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

Hi there

Link below shows adaptors, one on left of pic fits DR sockets

www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/bn30_new2006.jpg

Happy hols

Sparky

Morgantown, WV
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

The one of the left works in SOME of the outlets in the D. R. Those outlets are the same as the U.S. but with added depth. We had to put our coffee pot up against the battery charger for our cameras to hold it in, because the outlet is recessed. So even though our plugs fit the holes, they needed to have an adaptor because the holes in the outlet weren't flush with the wall. Hard to explain.

However, the outlets for razors in the bathroom had two round holes. Probably the adaptor shown on the right of the picture would work for that. So you would need both of those in the picture if you had to use the one in the bathroom AND the one in the bedroom. Very strange, I know. But that's the way it was. At least at our resort. Some may be different.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

This is all confusing me!!! :)

I think I will buy a multi-pack that tries to cover all types of plugs and hope for the best!

In all honesty - I won't be too fussed if I don't shave for a week - but do want to charge the old camera :)

Thanks for your help.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

When we were at the Riu Bachata about a month ago, we used both our round pin and flat pin plugs in the same sockets, they both seemed to fit ok!

5. Re: Electric Plugs in Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 01:18