We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us dollars versus credit card ?

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Topic
us dollars versus credit card ?

Hi could anyone advise on what we should take currency wise in view of the poor exchange rate with the us dollar ? We were thinking of paying for all our excursions by credit card and take a small amount of us dollars for drinks and maybe the odd meal out ( we are staying all inclusive at the Iberostar Costa Dorada ) Many thanks for your assistance

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

Hi,

We go to ICD frequently and always pay for our trips with credit card, but tell your credit card company that you are going to use it on your hols in the Dom. Rep. just incase they put a stop on it.

Cash wise we always take Dominican Pesos with us because if you use $$$ you will be given the change in pesos anyway.You can get you £££ changed in the Plaza at the Playa Dorada Complex, or use your debit card at the hotel next door Grand Oasis Marien, in their car park they have an air-conditioned booth with an ATM.

Angie.

Chatham Ontario
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

We always pay for excursions or off site visits (shopping, Hemingways, etc) with credit but bring US$$ for tips and small purchases - as the fellow poster indicated - you can pay in US $$ but you will get Peso's in return and you can't (as far as I know and have been told) convert them back.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

"We were thinking of paying for all our excursions by credit card and take a small amount of us dollars"

My advice is 'neither'!

Paying with a credit card will be much more expensive [generally] than using a debit card. The only advantage is you will have insurance if you pay by credit card, so, for example, if the trip gets cancelled. But in that case you should get your money back anyway so...

As already advised, take pesos or again, use your debit card to withdraw pesos from the ATM. Again, as already advised, let your bank know you are going so they don't stop your card and have more than one way of getting cash!

You still need US$10 for the 'Tourist Card' which MUST be paid in dollars. The exit US$20 can generally be paid in pesos or pretty much anything, but putting US$20 in your passport as soon as you arrive is the easiest!

coventry
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

Just got back, we took Dom pesos.

collingwood, ont,
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

With the poor CAD to the USD, Just take CAD and change into pesos there. Exchanging to US dollars is just silly. You are paying more than 20 c to each dollar here.......and for the peso its only around 7-8 c difference from USD To CAD, give or take depending on where you exchange it there. I have had left over USD from when the exchange was to our benefit, to take for tips and such, but otherwise just take CAD and exchange into pesos as need be.

Using Debit cards, you are charged a pretty big fee.

And as a previous poster stated, if using CC, make sure you phone your CC company and tell them you are going there.

England
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

We have just returned and my friend's credit card and debit card were both cloned out in Puerto Plata!!!!

Take the dollars and pesos's and don't use the credit card would be my advice.

devon
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

Hi gazzadevon

My advise if you have to use cards then go to the plaza and make sure you go in the bank do not use the outside ATMS. Never had a problem when paying for excursions, When do you go i go on the 15th dec to the ICD for 3 weeks can't wait. Where are you from in Devon i am from Paignton

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

Can anyone tell me do you have to pay the tourist card fee for children too ??

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

Yes everyone including children need Tourist Cards to enter the Dom Rep.

Angie.

Toronto
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: us dollars versus credit card ?

You will get dinged for 7-15% changing CDN$ in the Dominican Republic.

Buying US$ or using the ATM will cost around 2-3%.