We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I worry about MAlaria?

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phila, PA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I worry about MAlaria?

My husband and I are going to Majestic Elegance End of January and the CDC website states we should take prescription preventative malaria pills. There is a chance I may be pregnant, but to soon to test...and we have been trying and want to continue to try if I am not. Some people said you need to stop trying for 3 months after to take this perscription. Anyone know if we should risk nottaking the prescription? Reveiws of the resort we will be staying at - state there are a lot of mosquitoes. Any feedback is greatly appreciated....

new york
Level Contributor
246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

angelina

if a tourist ever get malaria at a dominican resort it will be a remarkable feat for that mosquito. the chance of you getting malaria is 0.01%. just have fun when you get to paradise.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

I am not a doctor, and you should do what you feel is right. Having said that, the cdc and Canadian Health Agency monitor outbreaks of infectious diseases. They will advise if there is a current outbreak of malaria and make recommendations for prophylaxis if there is (and for some who are elderly or immuno-compromised they recommen it anyway). I checked both and there are no current outbreaks in that area, so the medication is not a must.

Here are the sites for you to check out if you'd like

…cdc.gov/travel/destinationDominicanRepublic…

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/…mal_dr080206-eng.php

:)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,060 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

there has not been a reported case of malaria in the north coast for many years. In fact the current reccomendations of the CDC is NOT to take meds for this area

BObK

Phila, PA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses! You have been extremely helpful. I cannot wait to soak up the sun!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

If I can ask the experts - which areas of the country are known to be affected with malaria bearing mosquitoes? I will be all over the country, not just at one place, but mostly around Puerto Plata and Santiago area.

Alberta
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

The Majestic Elegance is not on the north coast, it is in the Punta Cana area where the risk of malaria is different. Listen to the advise of your Dr. or like us in Alta. who go to the Health Unit to a nurse that specializes in travel.

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

There are a lot of side effects from the malaria drugs. I had taken the drugs with no effects, but a co-worker of mine developed a headache and it lasted the whole trip. When we arrived home, we were told by the pharmacist that there were 560 cases of malaria in Canada, I knew nothing about.

Dayton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Dayton
Level Contributor
426 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

You need to speak to your primary care physian and be able to tell him EXACTLY where you are going, city and province as the warnings vary. I am going to Punta Cana, Altogracias province and my doctor said cause the med is so cheap just take it. I took my first one yesterday and my stomach is upset today. I do not know if I am even going to finish the package cause I hate it so far and who really know if I am even at risk??? TALK YOUR DOCTOR AND MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM ABOUT MAYBE BEING PREGNANt. This BB is no place to get medical advice.

9. Re: Should I worry about MAlaria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 06:19