We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

about hep a and b

vancouver
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
about hep a and b

was asked by friends if we were getting the shots and were thinking of getting them but for our family of 5 its around a 1000 bucks. Has anyone gone there a few times and not bothered to get them or do most people that go there get them? have been to mexico 4 or 5 times but never bothered since its first time to DR should we get it. Were thinking of getting the kids the shots

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: about hep a and b

Both are worth getting, simply for your own country.

Basically, the risks from Hep A or B are not that much (if any) more significant than back home, especially for the kids, who aren't sexually active in DR. If you aren't, then your risk is lowered too.

In short, I'd recommend getting the shots, but not because you are going to Dom. Rep. but because they are useful for life.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: about hep a and b

YES get the shots. Every one should regardless of where they live or travel

BObK

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
710 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: about hep a and b

Once you have the shots, they last for something like 15 yrs so it's well worth it.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: about hep a and b

The Hep "A" shot is the most important. You should also look into a Tetnus is you haven't had one in the last few years. Talk to your Doctor about these. Just to correct one post if you have had the Hep A shot twice then you are good for 10 years or so our Doc say's.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: about hep a and b

Hi, my husband and I had our hep a and b shots 2 years ago and it cost $180 for each of us....our daughter had her heb b at school, which was free we had to pay for her heb a and that cost $50. We did not have to get our shots to go south but our family doctor thought it would be a good idea.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: about hep a and b

Hi Pete!

In my opinion, I think it best to have the shots for both home and travel.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I know I rec'd my hep B shots in highscool.

Here's a link to the travel health clinic website in Vancouver that highlights the costs:

travelclinic.vancouver.bc.ca/fees_hours.html

Sounds like it would cost $200 per adult and $105 per child.

:)

7. Re: about hep a and b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 07:19