We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

BC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

Hi! My hubby and I are going to the BP in Feb. We have a 4 year old. Never used a kids club before. Any info/feedback/things that you recommend about this resort?

Also any tips to deal with the sand bites?

nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

We just got back from the BPSJ and had a great time! It's a beautiful resort! We didn't take our kids this trip, but there were a ton of kids around (all ages). They all looked like they were having fun in the kids club. At night time all the kids go on stage and perform dances with the leaders, very cute! All the staff just love kids. There is a shallow area in the main pool that the little kids enjoyed.

As for sand fleas/flies, we didn't have a problem and we were on the beach every day. We did stay off the beach before 9am and after 4pm and if it rained. I would definitely recommend this schedule! I took down bug spray and After-bite, but never used any of it.

Have fun! PS I'm from BC too - Nanaimo.

BC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

Thanks for the reply!!! How long were you there for? We're heading there for two weeks on Feb. 20th. We're going through the Air Transat/SkyService package. Any tidbits about the resort, or things that you would recommend (dinner times, pool chairs, etc.)? Thanks for the help!! We're in Tsawwassen! So only a ferry away!

nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

We were only there for one week. We went through AirTransat / Signature Vacations. It was our first time flying with AirTransat and it was good. They did supply 2 meals each way - Quisnos breakfast sandwich and a wrap for lunch (gross) and beef/veggie stirfry for dinner which was okay, but no snacks. They supplied all the entry papers for the DR, but I would recommend bringing a pen to fill out the forms.

The DR airport if very efficient upon arrival and departure. When you get there, just walk outside where you find your tour rep and they tell you what bus you will catch to the resort. The buses are airconditioned and the ride is very bumpy haha! The drivers there are crazy, but don't worry!! You can get a cold beer in the shops outside the airport to take on the bus if you want, but they do charge $5 US. When leaving, there are lots of duty free shops in the airport where the prices are very good for souveniers etc.

Our check-in at the hotel was super fast, but some people we know waited 1-2 hours, so it depends on your luck, I guess. We had the regular room (tried to upgrade to golden or diamond when we got there, but they were overbooked so we couldn't). Despite that, our room was great! We did get the safe ($25 US) and had absolutely no problems at all. I felt very safe at the resort. Some of the rooms are at the opposite end from the lobby/restaurant, but even then you are only looking at a 2-3 minute walk - important to wear off all the Mai Tai's!! There are little carts that drive around to pick up people if you want, make sure you stay off to the side when they are driving haha!

Everyone reserves chairs at the poolside. We stayed at the main pool, so I'm not sure how busy the smaller pools got. We made sure we put our towels/hats on the chairs by 8 am and then went for breakfast because the chairs were all filled by 9. The beach chairs filled up a little later, around 9-10 am.

The food was fine, not excellent, but there were so many options! It all depends on your own taste, really. Make sure you book your alacarts the first morning. They were fine too. We never had a problem with the crowds at the buffet, even though the hotel was at capacity. You have a 3 hour window at every meal, so people go at different times. They give you all the info and times at check-in. The Italian restaurant is open for lunch and breakfast, so check that out for a change. Some people went there for their alacart, and said it was not very good at dinner time.

We took down about 70 US $ bills to hand out for tips for one week - meals ($1), bar-not every drink($1), maid ($2), bar fridge guy ($1), porter etc. If you go on tours, they expect to be tipped ($10 or more).

Your rep will host a meeting the next morning which I found quite informative, my husband opted for the poolside though :)

Have I ever rambled haha! Enjoy your trip, you'll have a blast! Don't hesitate to ask about anything else.

BC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

WOW!!! Thanks for all of the info!!! We really appreciate it!

It is always so hard to figure how much to tip, when chairs pack up, so all of you wrote is great!

Since I have your attention, here are a couple more questions: What restaurants did you like the best? A la carte and buffet. Maybe that would help us decide which ones to book!

There seems to be some concern with tap water. Any news on that front? Stick to bottled?

What was the temp like? I'm hoping that we can pack light because we'll be spending most of out time in bathing suits?! What about evenings, did they cool down or was it fine with strappy dresses?

I want to be prepared with the little one, so your help is really appreciated!!!

BCBlueGirl

nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

We went to the Mediterranean a la cart which was pretty good. I forgot about the Seafood Rest booking so we missed that (too many Mai Tai's???), but many people said it was the best. The Mexican was good too. People said not to bother with the Italian for the a la cart. Like I said before, the buffet is fine, lots of options. There is a beach cafe which has fries, burgers, hot dogs and pizza. We went there a couple of times when the buffet was closed, I enjoyed the pizza, the rest was okay if you're really hungry haha.

Don't drink the tap water, but it's okay to brush your teeth with it - just don't swallow it. They supply lots of bottled water in the bar fridge. Don't put toilet paper down the toilet, septic systems aren't prepared to deal with it in the DR. They have hand sanitizers at every restaurant that you have to use before entering, so the hygiene is really good.

It was really warm when we were there, I wore sundresses in the evenings, never needed a sweater. But take one or two just in case. We needed the air conditioning at night time. It rained most of one day, but even then it was so warm and humid. I would recommend taking an umbrella just in case. And also take enough sunscreen etc. We ran out and it cost $22 US! We also had to buy batteries that cost $9 US for 4!! So, make sure you are prepared with everything you need.

I hope that helps:)

Hamilton, ON.
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

I appreciated reading your note. . . My sister and I are heading to this facility in February. AND we were under the impression tips were included... it sounds like this isn't so? please clarify. \

thanx

nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

It is all inclusive, but because it is such a poor country and the wages are so low many people tip. It is not required, so it's totally up to you! Have fun!!

8. Re: Going to Bahia Principe San Juan - Any info on Kids Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 08:17