We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hi

We're planning to take our 3 girls on the Outback Safari to show them what 'real life' in the DR is like.

What can we take to give to the locals/kids, etc.?

We're already travelling with the kitchen sink so preferably stuff that's not too heavy!

I could also leave the girls stuff behind - clothes/shoes/toys but who with (should I just give to the maid?) - I don't want to offend anyone!

Thanks in advance

Sharon

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hi again

Admire your wish to help the children but may I suggest something.

If you are taking stuff for the children there is a small orphanage right by the baseball stadium that would be so gratefull for anything.

Any taxi driver fromm PP should know it. I'm sorry I can't remember the name it's been 2 years since we where there.

Don't get me wrong Outback & Monster Truck do a great job but this place doesn't get the visits from them.

As for leaving stuff behind I'm sure the maid would be very gratefull.

Also why have you chosen Outback ?

Reason I ask is the kids would have more fun on Monster Truck, Trucks are bigger , better views and you get to have a water fight with other trucks late in the day.

Check their reviews,

Happy Hols

Sparky

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hello,

The downside to these trips is that, beause these 'typical homes' are visited every day they don't become typical anymore. (We got a better overview of life on the island when we went on a trip to the capital.)

Understandably the schools that the monster truck trips visit can get one visit a day.

With so many pens etc the children sell the surplus pens etc to tourists to give to children who then sell the surplus pens to tourists etc.

If you are happy with this then fine. Personally I feel happier donating supplies to organisations that arn't used as tourist attractions. E.g. Puerto Plata Orphange, 'Off the Beach' charity etc.

Rather than take pens I bring over the counter children's medicines as, unlike pens, these are so very expensive in DR.

Our First Choice Rep, Tony, had links with a charity and asked that we leave him any surplus items which he could pass on. This included half used bottles of toiletries, over the counter medicine etc.

As the maids may not know why you have left the items

you may want to leave the girl's stuff with him or one of the other Reps.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

As said, your offer of stuff for orphans would be much better. The kids in the school in the hills get spoilt rotten with gifts all the time, if you think about the amount of trips that they get up there. The place you are taken to visit isn't really how the majority of Domincans live anyway, you get the impression you are on a film set when arriving and only really exist for the tourists.

Your charity would be much more appreciated elsewhere.

And I agree with above, the monster truck would be much better for the kids.

England
Level Contributor
946 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

I did look at both the Monster and Outback and posted the question - which one would be most suitable for the kids.

Most came back and recommended the Outback Safari as they said the Monster Truck one was too long a day for the children?

I'm happy with either - I just wanted the one that would have the most stops/fun on board.

With regards to the orphanage.

My girls (3) are aged between 9 and 5 and although I want to show them the true DR, I want to make sure it's suitable to take them. Would the orphanage be ok for them? (don't want to totally freak them out...)

Ideally, I want them to give them their toys willingly, the objective being for them to understand and appreciate what little these children have so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hi again

In that case then giving on an organisd trip would be more suitable. It all helps :-))

As to the trip both are of the same duration.

Either way hope you enjoy your day.

Sparky

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hi Sharon

We have just returned from DR and took our children aged 10 and 7 on the monster trucks, they had a fab day even though my daughter did get a bit upset at the kids not having anything, it made them realise that they are in fact very very lucky to have what they have and appreciate it even more now, we got some sweets out there (but our guide did say that imported sweet are better quality) but if we return I will take pencils and paper for the kids as I felt that they needed these more than a few sweets yet they are really grateful for anything they get, the company we went with was Dominican Discovery Mega Trucks (booked through Thomas Cook)they made sure that the kids don't beg and say thank you for anything, also kids that live near the schools but do not attend are not rewarded with treats (sounds harsh but you wouldn't reward your kids for not going to school would you) Our guide was originally from the villages so knew a lot about the life (some of his family still live in a village) this company also sponsor 2 schools in the area so some of the money you pay goes back in to the community as well. This trip made our holiday and our kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The Orphanage sounds like a good idea I wouldn't want to take my kids but each to their own, could you not split the stuff between the two????

Jo.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hello ( Again)

The orphanage is lovely, a very nice q. modern set of buildings run by some really great nuns (and helpers). We didn't stay long, (didn't want any one to feel they were on display), just enough to say Hello and give them them the items. Lots of smiles and gracias.

When we went it was en route to a visit to the cable car. Our taxi driver knew exactly where it was and was very happy to wait while we delivered the stuff. He also told us how good it was that the orphanage was getting the items.

As was said in another post the tourist villages don't really give a true representation of typical Dominican life. (I did hear that a lot of the people there actually live elsewhere and just come in for the tourists, but I don't know how true that is)

If you want to have a look round one of the orphanges I'm sure that when you get to the hotel either your Tour Rep / guest services would be able to contact them to arrange for your family to visit. Then you would know that your family were visiting a real organisation and you could see exactly where your gifts were going.

Mississauga,Ontario
Level Contributor
390 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Is the Orphanage in Puerto Plata or Sosua?

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

Hi again

Sharon you was asking for ideas about what to take.

One thing we allways include is a couple of packets of balloons. What child doesn't love playing with a balloon.

Obviously this is on top of the regular stuff , but they take up no room and are fairly inexpensive.

Happy Hols

Sparky

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to take for the locals - Outback Safari

The orphanage I went to is in Puerto Plata, (near the baseball stadium), but there are two in PP.

From a google search there are orphanges in all parts of the DR.