We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

Hola amigos! :)

We booked our trip to Puerto Plata last week (Blue Bay Villas with Nolitours/Skyservice) and can't wait! We're going in 4 1/2 weeks but I'm already making packing lists. LOL

I thought it wold be fun to poll everyone here on TA who has been to Puerto Plata with the following question:

What is one thing you forgot (or didn't know) to bring to Puerto Plata that you wish you'd brought!

We know to bring the basics: bathing suits, our fun attitudes, US dollar bills, sunblock, etc, but I'm curious if there is anything we might be missing!

Thanks for the help!

Canuck Chick

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
80 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

One thing I always bring is fabric softener sheets. They have some insect repellant qualities and keep your clothes smelling fresher when on shelves or in the drawers. They also take up little or no room.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

As long as we have a couple changes of clothing and swimwear, some money and or plastic, nothing really matters that much to us. If we really need something that bad, we buy it there. If for some reason we can't or won't, it just isn't really needed. So belly up to the bars and food stations, catch some rays, surf and take in all that

ENJOYMENT

canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

Hi,,I bring a tiny book lamp for reading at nite.......the lighting in the rooms can be very dim.this attaches to your book while you read. a great little light. usually found at a discount store for a few dollars.Enjoy the wonderful DR, from fellow canadians. (Winnipeg)

Duncan, vancouver...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

With kids afraid of the dark I bring a night light from the dollar store and leave behind.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

Two changes of clothes eh......for how long. My guess is two weeks.

Waverley, Nova...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

An extra liver and well ...Ok that girl,...what's her name... on that show...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

getting back to the plug adapters....we're from canada and last year when we went to icd, the outlets in the guestrooms were recessed. regular plugs fit ok, but if you have a bulky ac adapter, it won't fit. so i would suggest bringing a plug "extender" or an ungrounded extension cord if you are bringing any type of ac adapter. but i figure the hotel would have adapters/extenders for rent/borrowing

this year we bought a waterproof casing for our digital camera for $30cdn. hopefully that way we can bring our camera into the pool or ocean without worrying too much about damaging it.

not specific to the dominican, but for packing we used vacuum seal bags that helped reduce our luggage volume, especially since we needed to pack diapers for the baby.

the next suggestions are for families

on our past trips we borrowed a portable dvd player to keep the kids entertained during the flight. this year we bought a cheap media player instead.

someone suggested to bring walkie talkies so we are going to do that this year. that way my wife and i can keep in touch if we get separated while taking care of 2 little boys.

yay...we leave tomorrow! bpsj here we come!

Waverley, Nova...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

Tomorrow? I hate you!!:)

collingwood, ont,
Level Contributor
484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

This isnt something to bring, but a great tip.

Always keep your ceiling fan on at night, flying insects, will not go under or where the breeze is blowing off from the fans. So when you sleep the breeze keeps them away from you.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
60. Re: Name 1 thing you didn't bring to POP that you wish you had!

To all; I bring a cube tap to plug in all my rechargeables (camera w/rechargeable batteries, walkie-talkies, DVD player, lap-top, etc.) at the same wall plug. Also, I wear pants with zip-off legs on the plane & take the bottom half off upon landing. My wife also insists on a cheap air mattress, which we leave at the resort, so she can float in the pool & have her personal pool-boy refill her Tim's mug with rum & coke periodically. Enjoy your holiday. Bob!!!