We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

working girls in Sosua

Stratford upon Avon
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
working girls in Sosua

Is this much of a problem? Is it really noticable and are men openly hassled?

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: working girls in Sosua

OK.....1ST question are you male or female......

Just come back from Dominican..... NO men are not hassled and believe me if you NOT Canadian there NOT interested.............. You never see any WORKING GIRLS unless you visit certain LOW LIFE Dominican bars....Believe me.... females have more hastle from Domincan guys especially if your blonde..lol..and we have lots of friends and some relatives there....any questions let me know.

Chrissy UK

Clayton,NJ
Level Contributor
358 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: working girls in Sosua

LOL.....You kinda sound like you wouldnt mind being hassled!!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: working girls in Sosua

Its noticeable all right! .

If you go with a woman you won't be hassled, but if you go on your own or with other guys, you'll be getting "offers" of all kinds and all the time.

It happnes the same the other way around.

Women get hessled constantly by the "sankypankys".

I personally don't consider it a problem.

You simply say NO (or yes...) and thats it! :)

Stratford upon Avon
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: working girls in Sosua

What's a sankypanky? Is the prostitution legal?

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: working girls in Sosua

Chrissi, your comment surprised me a lot!

Sosúa is well known even among dominicans to be a place for women and men looking to "picar algo"(get something). Just as Boca Chica is too.

Actually, they are commonly called the 'Sodoma and Gomorra of DR', among dominicans from Santo Domingo.

I repeat: is only if you go on your own or with other peolpe the same sex.

If you go with a couple of different sex they won't hassle you.

(Of course you saw them. You probably though they were waitreses, or hair dressers...etc....! )

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: working girls in Sosua

When we were at the ICD in January some late middle aged gentlemen guests seemed to have an amazing number and variety of beautiful young ladies with them at the beach.

Then it dawned on us.

Have to say that I was never approached by

the "sankypankys". (Must learn to leave the OH in the room !!!)

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: working girls in Sosua

Prostitution defenetelly is ILLEGAL in DR, but Police over here.... well... are a bit...how do you call it when they look the other way? because they have their own interest?

In Dominican Republic, the common name for a prostitute is "cuero".

The male prostitutes, or 'unexquisite gigolos' :), are called "sankypankys".

(Ther is a funny dominican movie called "sankypanky" where you can see and learn more about them!)

At Hotels & resorts many employees do some "sankypanky work" in their time off...specially animation workers and dancers.

Its a huge business for them!!!I actually had employees that weren't embarrased of admitting it out in the open.

This is their modus operandi: Everyweek they get a new foreighn girfriend, get them "in love" with them, and then when they go home, they keep calling asking to send them money for a celular, for shoes, medicine... when the truth is that they use it for partying !

Even if they only send 100 a month (many send a lot more), its lots of money, because If there are 52 weeks in the year.... YOU DO THE MATH!!!!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: working girls in Sosua

Prostitution defenetelly is ILLEGAL in DR, but Police over here.... well... are a bit...how do you call it when they look the other way? because they have their own interest?

In Dominican Republic, the common name for a prostitute is "cuero".

The male prostitutes, or 'unexquisite gigolos' :), are called "sankypankys".

(Ther is a funny dominican movie called "sankypanky" where you can see and learn more about them!)

At Hotels & resorts many employees do some "sankypanky work" in their time off...specially animation workers and dancers.

Its a huge business for them!!!I actually had employees that weren't embarrased of admitting it out in the open.

This is their modus operandi: Everyweek they get a new foreighn girfriend, get them "in love" with them, and then when they go home, they keep calling asking to send them money for a celular, for shoes, medicine... when the truth is that they use it for partying !

Even if they only send 100 a month (many send a lot more), its lots of money, because If there are 52 weeks in the year.... YOU DO THE MATH!!!!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: working girls in Sosua

OH???

Does it stand for what Im thinking of??? :)

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: working girls in Sosua

Interesting about how the "sankypankys".operate.

Late last year in the UK there was a television documentary which fol owed some middle aged UK ladies who had DR boyfriends.

All their relationships seemed a little strained and most seemed to focus on money etc.

The saddest moment in the programme was when it showed a bit at at the airport when one of the ladies was saying goodbye to her 'boyfriend'.

His only comment was 'have you got any spare pesos?'