We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzie magnet!!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzie magnet!!!

Hi has anyone any more suggestions for keeping the mozzies at bay?

I am a Mozzie magnet and got loads of bites last year in Punta Cana. I've tried taking vit B tablets, Avon skin so soft, quite a few different sprays , including one I bought in Turkey (where I didn't get a bite after using it) they must be a different breed there!.

If anyone else has any ideas of anything I can buy here in England I would much appreciate it or even over there.

Thanks

devon
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzie magnet!!!

Hi

You can buy mozzie patches of the reps not sure how well they work. You can buy a sray over there its called OFF and you can get it in the Plaza supermarket again not sure how good it is i always take one that contains Deet.

Clayton,NJ
Level Contributor
358 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzie magnet!!!

I use the off with 99% deet and it works perfectly. I am a mosquito magnet!! Everything bites me for some reason. I hate them little no see ums. Every spring I stock up on the stuff. They come in tiny little spray bottles and you dont need alot of it.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzie magnet!!!

We were in Cuba October 2007 and the mozzies were pretty bad. They usually like me and as it was our first trip to the Caribbean I did a bit of searching on the Cuba forum where there is some great advice.

We took 1000mg of vitamin B12 for 3 weeks before we went and whilst there. We also used Boots tropical 50% deet and the Avon dry oil spray. Also mozzies love bananas - apparently (or the smell our skin must produce when we eat them)- so it was recommended not to eat any for 2/3 weeks before going. Being a mozzie magnet myself I thought what the hell why not try everything and it worked! I only got a couple of minor nibbles the whole holiday.

I can't say whether one thing worked over the others, although Vitamin B1 or B12 does seem to be the most common preventative, but it worked.

In Dom Rep July 2008 and repeated the above - again one 1 or 2 tiny bites.

Hope this helps.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzie magnet!!!

Thanks - afraid Vit B made no difference or Avon dry oil. I'll try anything. Will maybe have to try their own stuff when we get there!

5. Re: Mozzie magnet!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 12:17