We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best RUI hotel?

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashford Middx
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Which is the best RUI hotel?

Hi,

I understand there are three RUI hotels together and also told NOT to go to the one in the middle.

What is the name of the hotel in the middle,

Can any advise which is the best hotel for two fifty somethings?

Many thanks

ANRU

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

Don't know who or why said not to book the one in the middle - that's the first I've ever heard of that (FYI it's Riu Merengue). Many people our age prefer Riu Mambo as it's a bit slower paced and still gives you access to the Riu Bachata and the Riu Merengue (except dinner). It's also the least expensive of the three, usually.

Gregg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

I don't think there is any thing wrong with the merenge never heard of any problems with it. The mambo has the best part of the beach and it has a beach bar thats what i liked about the mambo. We were mostly at the Merenge for the nightly shows and we liked the bar there also. Bachata has a 24 hour bar u get have drinks all day and all night and it doesn;t matter which hotel your staying at. Were really thinking of going back to the mambo this xmas and new years weeks.

Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

The unique feature of RUI is the inescapable diarrhea and vomiting, especially when they occur concurrently and violently. Stay away.

Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

The unique feature of RUI is the inescapable diarrhea and vomiting, especially when they occur concurrently and violently. Stay away.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

Pop-Lover, why get another thread involved with the sickness issue? I think Anru was asking a quite direct question about the positioning of the the Riu hotels in POP. The hotel has been shut and cleaned thoroughly and from the reviews I have read all now seems to be well there now! I for one would now return and I was very sick at New Years.

Anru - it really depends what you want. Gregg is right the Mambo is the quitest (and I believe the oldest) the Merengue is very plush in parts probably more so that the other 2 but has the smallest pool but I know people that return and return because they love it. I personally love the Bachata which is the newest of the three purely because of the situation of the accomodation. Have a look on www.riubambu.com there are site maps for all three hotels. Myself and my husband are late 30's and early 40's respectively and love the Bachata because we are well catered for in our opinion, we saw and made friends with lots of 50 somethings so I would recommend the Bachata.

As always only my opinion.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

Hi poppy,

FWIW the Merengue is the oldest, the Mambo is the second oldest and the Bachata is the newest. I was at the mambo during the construction of the Bachata and it was fascinating to watch.

Gregg

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

which would be better to go to with 2 "quiet" girls ages 5 & 8 ? We like gradual entry pools, not too deep ? They dont go to kids club so that doesnt matter. They like to play in the sand and swim in the pool. Is the beach water at all clear or quite cloudy ? We have been to the Bahia and it was quite murky and we didnt like that but the Rui hotels look amazing in the books. Thanks so much for any info.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

Mambo has a gradual entry in one of the two pools which is even suitable for a wheelchair; Bachata has one with one or two steps and then sloped entry; not sure about Merengue.

Mambo's beach is wider and better than anywhere else in the complex and definately better than Bahia Principe, IMHO (and I've been there). It's clearer than BP also - at least for the two week periods we were at both resorts.

Gregg

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

thanks Greg. I was almost scared to go back to POP because of the water at the Bahia, it was really dirty. I was prepared for darker sand but not all the seaweed. Would you know if the water is really rough the first week of Feb around the RUI locations ? Heard the water was rough at Breeze' POP.

Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the best RUI hotel?

Poppy,

The alias I have picked (Pop-Lover) is because I truly love Puerto Plata, and I take a passionate position against anyone or any organization that tries to tarnish the reputation of that little piece of heaven. For over a year there have been on-again-off-again postings about serious health problems at that complex. My family and I stayed at the Bachata the last part of April, where my wife got dangerously ill. Months later, she continues to have digestive problems. I am convinced that there are fundamental problems with the RUI complex, particularly the Bachata. This place has a compromised supply of water, the beach is very poor, and oftentimes you can smell the burring of garbage from the nearby landfill. The resort staff are wonderful and go out of their ways to accommodate, alas that does not solve the structural problems.