We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool England
12 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

?

scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

we had 2 weeks in jamacia 03, 3weeks in cuba 04 and our family of 8 had not 1 bit of sickness between us

You stay classy...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

Seems like a lot of complaints coming from the DR forums. Am I imagining that?

I have been to the Caribbean many times and have been ok. My wife only once and that was Cancun Mexico. She actually felt sick before we got there. It just got really bad while there.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

I have been to the DR 5 times, Mexico 3, Ochios Rios 1 and a 1 cruise and I have never been ill. I always eat & drink to my hearts content but don't drink the tap water. This year I was deathly ill at RIU in POP.

mancheste
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

Hi madsue71,

My husband and i was in dr last Oct and neither of us' or the many people we spoke to had diarrohea and vomiting, we stayed in the Jack Tar Playa Dorado. We go back in four days. Also i think they use a lot of oil during cooking, which if your noyt used to that can cause the trots.

Bye for noew BLOGGY

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

Madsue,

My family have travelled to many places and other than any slight "travellers tum" adjustment - which is no real problem we have never been ill.

This visit to DR this time was a totally different thing altogether - my family have never been so violently ill and had such difficulty trying to recover from it. But I guess a person would have to suffer it to understand how different and violent this is.

Liz :0)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

I was with a group of 16 people in February 2004 and by myself in January 2005. I hung out with 6 people quite regularly during this recent trip. Nobody in my acquaintance was sick at all. We all ate at different times and at different restaurants but our story was the same. No illness.

It's too bad some people get sick. There was a bit of a bad run this year. I still think it is extremely rare.

Kaki

TORONTO
Level Contributor
335 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

I get it everytime...at least im honest...lol I dont know if its the oil inthe food like a previous poster said or the beer/drinks... I DONT drink the water.....? maybe a combination of all of the above mixed with the beautiful hot sun...lol never vomiting though only the peurto platter splatterz or the TULUM REVENGE.... for at least one day near the middle of the trip then i become immune to what ever it was and stark drinkin again...lol bring pepto...lol

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

I've been to Ocho Rios 4 times and to Playa Dorada 3 times and have never had anything more than the self induced type illness!!

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

Was in DR in June and we weren't ill and neither were any of the others we got to know. I suffer with IBS and had no serious problems.

However.........

On British TV Tuesday night, a travel programme highlighted the problem of Breezes, Punta Cana and talked to some guests who were suffering and something is still going on there.

They also highlighted airport catering. We all have something to eat while waiting for our flights and their findings were very scary.

At Heathrow, 40% of food tested had bacteria and at Stanstead it was 70%. 24 hours later illness kicks in and we're blaming it on the hotel food, water, drinks etc. Hygiene standards in this country are suspect too.

I'm not making light of the people who have been seriously affected by the bugs going round RIU's and Breezes but be careful what you eat at the airports too.

Package Holiday Undercover is shown again tonight (Thurs) at 8pm on ITV2 so check it out.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone ever NOT had the trotts or vomit while being in...

have been the the carribean several times!!!!! been to the D.R. about 15 times and when i go we spend alot of time away from the resorts, cancun,mexico, puerto vallarta, trinidad, and grenada never had any problems, or anyone ive travelled with either, go and enjoy. chow brenda