We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towel art

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
710 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Towel art

I know this question is a little strange.

We've been to 2 different resort in DR and the maids we had did not do any towel arts in our room. We are now going to Grand Oasis Marien and i'm hoping we do get some this time. They are nice and I think they would be fun for my daughter to see.

Is it just luck to get a maid that will do towel art?

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Towel art

Ever place we have been to in Mexico or Cuba we have always had towel art. Barcelo is the first we never had any at all! I missed it! :(

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towel art

Sometimes the housekeepers just don't have enough time to do the towel art. It's been our experience that it's most often done at the beginning of a stay and then again when time permits. Sometimes if you leave a particularly nice gift they will do some.

One evening, on our last trip to BlueBay, the woman who did the evening turn down & towel service created a very amusing swan for us. It was particularly funny because she put my hat on its head.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towel art

Not a strange question at all! I know lots of people who get a kick out of the towel art. We didn't get any at the Blue Bay in Puerto Plata last week, but our neighbour two doors down did. I have a feeling it's not something they do as much there. Perhaps it depends on the housekeepers and whether they have learned the "artform" (LOL) somewhere else. My boyfriend was glad there was no towel art because it meant him not having to unravel an elephant in order to dry off after a shower! :)

You're right, though, that kids love towel art. I just found a site that shows you how to do it:

http://www.squidoo.com/EasyTowelAnimals

I know it's not the same as walking in your room and finding a random creature on your bed, but maybe you can learn an animal or two and pretend it magically appeared to surprise your daughter? I guess that would only work if she's younger.

Either way, have fun!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,653 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towel art

I'll be surprised that the maid doesn't know how to do towel animals. Ask her to do one for your kids. In our small hotel, all our maids know the art, but we specifically asked them not to do them, since then you get towels on your bed but nothing in the bathroom when you need them. Not to mention how much time this and the nice flowers in the toilet paper takes!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
710 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Towel art

That makes sense now that the housekeeper is probably pressed for time to do up all the rooms at the resort and if she did towel art for every room it would take quite some time.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Towel art

I like the towel art too! We had fun swans, hearts, and elephants!

I guess it does depend on the time factor...and I'm sure tipping might help too! We were there for Christmas and gave our maid $50 on Christmas morning....our room was filled with fresh flowers and towel art and "feliz Navidad" and "gracias" spelled out in flowers on the floor for days after that!

Another time, in Cuba, the maid kept using our bedspread to make art. It was really cool looking, but then we had to make our own bed. Ahh the small time worries of an AI vacation huh!

St. John's
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Towel art

We were just at the Grand Oasis Marien for 1 week and we did have towel art.

It would be on our bed and they also sometimes had towel art in the bathroom.

Sometimes the maid would also use my night shirt and make designs with it.

It was a great vacation.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Towel art

It's funny, at first I thought the towel "art" was silly...until I went to a resort where the maid did not do it and I felt as if something was missing!

Yes to towel art:

Riu Mambo

Viva Wyndham

No to towel art:

Barcelo

Gran Ventana

Casa Marina Reef

Anyone ever get an...R rated towel scuplture? :|

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Towel art

We got an "R" (or "X"?) rated towel art in our room. At first, it looked like a swan but when you looked at it more closely, well,...blush! Especially with the strategically placed hibiscus...it was not a swan.

toronto
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Towel art

I think it depends on the maids--We stayed at Barcelo in Puerto Plata--& our friends got it some days & so did her mother's rooms & so did others on the resort-(we never got 1) no big deal for me-but my hubby wanted one.