We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cig lighter at immigration

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
239 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
cig lighter at immigration

i have a feeling i remember having my lighter taken off me at immigration pop, can anyone confirm ? i dont want to take a good one if that is the case

cleveland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cig lighter at immigration

Yeah, you will, I remember that, how do smokers have a ciggie with no lighter because you can't carry matches either? You'll need to remember to pack some in your suitcase.

Mary

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cig lighter at immigration

We have been twice this year and never had lighter taken off us...as long as it goes in a plastic bag at the airport in UK.... and on the way back my husband put his in his back pack which went through X ray machine at pop on way home. Did'nt have a problem.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,283 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cig lighter at immigration

No, they don't take your lighter any longer. Actually, it's been over a year it changed (both at POP and in the USA). Last time I got one taken was in September 07. But I believe you can only take a disposable one. I'm not sure the ban on butane lighters has been lifted.

Silvia

Clayton,NJ
Level Contributor
358 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cig lighter at immigration

I have never had mine taken....unless you are so honest as to give it up to them.I just keep it in the zipper part of my luggage. Then I have it when I get off the plane and out of the airport!

Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cig lighter at immigration

I always pack a spare (or 2) in my checked luggage just in case. One stays in my purse with my cig's. Never had one taken at the airport.

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cig lighter at immigration

Hi there not sure about outside UK.

But over here it's against the rules to put lighters in Hold luggage or in carry on, they must be on your person, Also you are not allowed to take petrol lighters IE: Zippos.

And before people ask , it's in the small print.

Happy Hols

Sparky

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cig lighter at immigration

Hello,

I had my lighter taken from me at PP airport going back home. It was in my handbag. They missed the one in my pocket. :-)

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cig lighter at immigration

hi Again

Copy of extract from Thomson/ First Choice terms & conditions.

One small lighter may now be carried through security search points, the lighter container will form part of the liquid allowance within the re-sealable plastic bag. It can either be placed inside the bag or handed separately for screening. It is very important that customers do not place the lighter into their cabin bag after screening and must be carried on their person for the duration of the flight for safety reasons. Butane cigarette lighters are now permitted to be carried on your person on flights to/from the USA/Mexico and Jamaica, however torch lighters remain prohibited. Additionally lighters and matches should not be packed in hold luggage under any circumstances.

Happy Hols

Sparky

Ps We usually carry 2 each, no probs with that yet.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,283 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cig lighter at immigration

Sheila:

When did that happen? I came out about ten days ago with two lighters without a problem.

Silvia

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: cig lighter at immigration

hi

i had mine taken away at the airport last april and had to buy another one once through customs strange they take it away then let you buy one lol