We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good news re Swine Flu

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Good news re Swine Flu

I recieved this through my medical web site... sounds like good news...thought you might be interested.

There is good news this week regarding the swine flu (H1N1) outbreak, and growing optimism that the new strain is not more lethal or more easily transmitted than the seasonal flus that circulate continuously around the globe.

"We are seeing encouraging signs that the virus so far is not looking more severe than a strain we would see during seasonal flu," concluded Center for Disease Control (CDC) Acting Director Dr. Richard Besser.

Still, Besser indicated that the situation was continuing to evolve and that recommended precautions would remain in place for the time being.

As of this writing, there are fewer than 300 confirmed cases in the United States, less than 150 in Canada, and less than 2,000 in the entire world.

The incidence of new cases is said to be leveling off in Mexico City, where the flu circulated for over a month before it was identified as a new strain. The city's mayor took drastic measures last week, closing all none essential government and private businesses, schools and restaurants, cancelling concerts and sporting events and urging people to stay home. Mexico's Health Secretary has since declared that the epidemic there "is in its declining stage," and many of these businesses will be allowed to reopen.

Numerous people have written to ask me if it is safe to board an airplane and U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood joined the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) in declaring that it was indeed safe to fly.

After announcing this new influenza as a "swine flu," the CDC and the WHO scrambled to switch to the terms "H1N1" and "Influenza A (H1N1)," The CDC has not yet lifted its advisory against nonessential travel to Mexico and I have no way of knowing when that will happen, but I am optimistic that the day is not far off. I will announce the lifting of the advisory in this newsletter when it happens.

I think this is GOOD news for everyone travelling.

Chrissy

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good news re Swine Flu

Thanks Chrissy! This does sound like good news for everyone!

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good news re Swine Flu

Thanks for posting the info Chrissie.

I'm sure a lot of people will be breathing sighs of relief.

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good news re Swine Flu

Hi Sheila and all

I know... it is good news FOR EVERYONE TRAVELLING.

its a bad time as it is for the hotels in mexico and especially in the D.R... with lots of hotels closing.with out this threat hanging over them.

I'll let you know when I get anymore info....I know not everyone will be interested in reading this ... but I thought I'd share some good news for those who are.

Chrissy

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good news re Swine Flu

Hello Chrissy

First Choice and Thomson are beginning their flights to Cancun. We have been told that our holiday on 25th May from Newcastle is going ahead although the info on their web site has not changed for over 5 days. Fingers crossed that it all happens on Monday!

5. Re: Good news re Swine Flu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 07:21