We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to choose?

Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to choose?

Hi

My husband and I (late 20's, no children) are planning a trip to Pueto Plata in a few weeks and are looking for suggestions as to which hotel we should choose:

1)Grand Oasis Marien

2)Barcelo Puerto Plata

3)Blue Bay Vilas

We like to do participate in hotel activities and the occasional club outing so we were hoping to be near the mall so we can walk there some nights. I believe the Grand Oasis is not in the dorada complex area so can anyone tell me how far of a walk it would be to get to the mall area or would we have to take a cab? I would also prefer a hotel that has a "nice section" of beach and of course pretty good food.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Hi

Well For me the best hotel is Blue Bay... the fact that you dont have any children and this is an over 18s hotel means that you wont have any children around .

This place is amazing.... we're going back for our 3rd time this year. The food is excellent the location wonderfull and the staff are un believable...I cannot praise this hotel and the management and the staff enough... the grounds are immaculate...we love the entertainment... and the entertainment crew will keep you as entertained as much or as little as you like... no pressure.

This hotel is one of the few GENUINELY 24hour ALL INCLUSIVE...... you can eat and drink 24hours a day un like some hotels where there have time limits etc.

You are a 2 min walk from the mall / shopping plaza with bars and clubs etc.

Please have a look at the link s below.

bluebayresorts.com/en/hotel/bluebay-villas-d…

this next link is our favorite place to walk to along the beach

www.elvis-beachbar.com

Everyone will have there own opinions but I personally would recomend this hotel to anyone.

If you have any questions just let me know

Chrissy

Roden
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to choose?

We just returned from the Grand Oasis Marien this week and walked from the GOM to the shopping mall. It is about 40 minutes walk, but I do not advice it by evening. The footpaths are really really bad in the Dominican Republic! It gets dark at around 7 and when it's dark, it is easy to get an accident walking on the footpath.

You can also walk on the beach, but this is longer and I would be surprised if this isn't save either. The resorts don't have guards for nothing.

We really dislike the shopping mall and were out there in 10 minutes. People start hasseling you as soon you are in.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to choose?

We walked from Playa Dorada to IBC/GOM during the day in March 2009. The sidewalks are all new interlocking stones but on the left hand side (going towards Puerto Plata, the sidewalk is full of animal excrements (dogs, donkeys, horse) and it makes it very difficult to walk. It's a 40 min. walk.

If you stay at the Iberostar or GOM, and you want to go shopping, you're closer to Puerto Plata than the Playa Dorada Plaza.

Your 3 choices of hotels are all excellent, but distance wise, the GOM is a little far for a stroll to the mall in the evening.

We like BB and have stayed there twice. Our friends have stayed at Barcelo and were very impressed with the resort.

Kent
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to choose?

We spent two weeks at Bluebay in May (4 girls in our early 20s) and it was fantastic. We had the best time. The hotel is great with really good facilities.

As you like to participate in activites, this would be a brilliant hotel for you! Once we got over our shyness we joined in with so many activities and loved dancing with the Animation Crew.

The Plaza is literally 250m away from Bluebay and although we didn't visit Spice, we went to Coco Bongo everynight!

The food is great - especially the chateaubriand in the steak restaurant (it is as good, if not better, than all the reviews state!) and there is plenty of choice, even if you are fussy (like myself). We also had a vegetarian on our group and she also was very impressed by the variety.

The only thing to bear in mind is that it is the beginning of the rainy season now, but that doesn't mean that you won't get plenty of gorgeous sunshine and really hot weather!

Wish I was going back to Bluebay soon!!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Blue Bay all the way. Reasons as mentioned above :)

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to choose?

The Barcelo is a 5 min walk to the mall and when we stayed at Grand Oasis it was a long walk! The Barcelo is okay for a resort pick but I would go for Blue Bay!I have'nt stayed there but that would be my pick for my next trip! Also a short stroll to the mall.

North Wales, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Another vote for Blue Bay here!

As soon as I saw you ask, the first thing I wondered was whether you have children with you - and as you don't, no doubt about it - Blue Bay, for all the reasons everyone just stated - and more!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to choose?

might be worth having a look at grand paradise playa dorada as newly refurbished to a hi standard all mod cons look at the web site but where ever you choose have a great holiday

9. Re: Which hotel to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 05:28