We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk newcastle
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Can anyone up date me on this virus which they beleave to be the norwalk virus what ever that is ment to be.has anyone just come back from the RIU MAMBO if so what was it like there with this virus did you get sick.

Plantsville, CT
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Check out www.tbdhu.com/factsheets/NorwalkVirus.htm

I don't know if the virus is actully at the resort but this website should give you a little more insight. I am not going to this resort (thank god) but good luck!

Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

We returned on the 3rd of January and yes sickness is still thriving at the Riu's.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Well then isn`t that just lovely. 10 of us leave on Fri for the Riu Merengue and we booked our vacation in July and now we have to deal with this. Obvisously, something needs to be done if the sickness is still there.Hopefully with all the tips that have been posted and all the medication that we will be taking with us, our group won`t get sick.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

I stayed in Riu Bachata almost everybody got food poisoning.

If you read reviews you will find out that all Riu hotels in

Puerto Plata or Punta Cana have same problem, don't go

to any Riu hotels. Their investing most of their money in new

properties in Mexico and Bahamas and completely neglecting

Dominican properties. Been there last year without a problem,

but this year i notice that staff was cut by 50%, and nobody is

supervising kitchen staff, seen cooks drinking beer 9 A.M.

use bare hands preparing pastas and salads. I complain to the

Manager to no avail. Sig from New York

Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

6 of us are going in Feb. What can We do ? Loose all the fees? This is not good!!! The travel agency's should have warned!!! I may sue. Is there anything we can take? What a BAD mark for Puerto Plata

WINNIPEG MB
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

we are arriving sunday jan 9/05 at the riu mambo is the virus still kicking

uk newcastle
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

I think you should not worry,I have read loads of reveiws and I think that there is just bad flu.In the uk,canada and usa have all had very bad flus and colds and everyone who goes on holliday fetch a new one to dr and then that gets passed to the next person and so on.So I think that if I do catch any think on holliday it will only be a bad cold and that is what I would have if I stayed at home only joy is that I wil be siting on that beach in the hot sun which will soon make me better.

Ottawa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Just returned Jan 10 and 4 of our our party of 8 got it, one required 2 IVs and meds at a cost of $310 US. Symptons are vomiting, diarrhea, fever, body aches, dehydration - not a lot of fun. We spoke to many guests who had the same experience including a wedding party of 28 of which 26 got it.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

We just got back on the 9th of January and all four of us got sick mid trip. Same symptoms, vomiting, diarhea, chills and fever. We all still feel sick. Many others we met on the trip back were also ill during their stay. I think I'm going to see my Doctor ASAP as this isn't getting a lot better for us. I would suggest we all register complaints with our travel company to substantiate the requests of others who wish to cancel their vacations. Some unfortunate soul is going to die from this. If you are elderly or medically weak, I would not travel to Riu Puerta Plata resorts.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Mambo is the virus still there

Read the report from Zoom2299-interesting that some in Punta Cana area have had similar symptoms as my family and others who were at Puerto Plata area. Makes you wonder what is going on!!