We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bites

mk
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bites

hi all

we are due to fly to gran ventana in october can anyone tell me weather they have had a problem with any mosies (sorry cant spell it ) its just when i went i=on holiday before i got bite alive and not sure if there is a problem with then here, no one seems to mention it. thanks sam

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bites

Paigelou, 'Mozzies' are often a problem if there has been rain prior to your visit. In any event, there are likely to be a few around. Some people have skin that is not attractive to the little biters and other not, so in any event, make sure you bring a spray with contains 'DEET' as this is the best defense. You can also buy it here in the supermarkets - the most well known brand is 'OFF'. Several companies also do natural anti-mosquito remedies which contain eucalyptus. Bring or buy here a room spray too and before you go out for dinner, close everything up and give your room a quick spray to ensure a 'high pitched buzzing free' night. Enjoy your vacation.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bites

Hello,

I am someone who mossies love. I think they see me getting off the plane and think its their birthdays and Christmas rolled in to one :-)

To echo the earlier exccellent advice - although resorts do spray regualrly, spraying you and your room can't do any harm.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bites

its alwasye better to bring spray and not need it than not to bring spray and need it. have a wonderful trip

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bites

Repellant with "deet" is required, in my 7 trips to POP I have had more trouble with sand fleas than mossies.

Onr of the reasons I prefer the east coast, no real bug problems.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bites

No, I have to take issue with that last post, otherwise people might think that the North Coast is riddled with mosquitos and Punta Cana not. The reality is that you can come to the North Coast at different times of the year and have almost no mosquitos and on occasion, you can come and have a significant problem. Here are links to threads that show a mosquito problem on occasion in Punta Cana too;

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d313…

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d218…

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d478…

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bites

can anyone give me an idea why some people are more prone to being bitten than others? is it something in their blood or is it a scent that the individuals' skin gives off? i have always wondered this as my husband is like a human buffet for them and i, luckily, never get any bites. thanx x

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bites

I understood that it could have something to do with the PH balancee of your skin.

I've tried everything - taking vitamin B etc.etc. Not much benefit.

But there are worst things in life so I just spray.

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bites

Thanx SheilaEngland,

I guess there is nothing to stop the little blighters at the end of the day, lol! I had heard that perhaps it was people having too much protein in their blood? Also was recommended to eat marmite? yuck! as app they hate the taste, starnge, i know. Guess the hubby will just have to spray for all he's worth!!!

Emma x

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bites

Here is an interesting scientific report on what might make us attractive to these creatures;

scienceline.org/2007/…

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: bites

GoGapSport,

Just finished reading the article you posted. I found it very interesting but am still confused. I guess you just have a 50/50 chance of getting bitten at the end of the day

Emma x