We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

I believe that the beach at the BPSJ is not as nice as Playa Grande. The sand bags is clearly un-natural and unappealing.

Is the beach nice at the Principe SJ?

How would one get to the Playa Grande from the Principe? Is there a shuttle?

What would a taxi cost?

Etc.

Thank You

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

IMHO, the beach at BPRSJ is nice & there is lots of it. Sure, the sand bags look unappealing, but they are a necessity to keep the beach from being washed away. Inside the sand bags, the water/beach is pretty calm...much easier for kayaking & boating. And I found the beach very easy to walk on.

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

Thanks

Anyone else, please comment on the quality of the beach at the Bahia Principe San Juan beach!!

Also, how does/can someone get to the Playa Grande beach? That seems nicer. Is it?

Thank you!!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

I'm probably going to get slammed by the BPSJ fans out there and admittedly my experience is a little dated but here goes....

While I have not actually stayed at the BJSP I did spend a full day there visiting friends on a day pass about 3 or 4 years ago. I found the beach to be rather uninspiring, the sand was very dark and compact and the giant sand bags, while serving a purpose, was really not what I see in my mind when I think of a tropical beach location.

I've spent a lot of time at Playa Grande, great mile long, crescent shaped beach. Plenty of wave action, great for boogie boarding and have seen surfers there. Golden brown sand, very fluffy, feet would sink deep into the sand with each step making a walk along the beach fairly good exercise. At the far (East) end of the beach there were some vendors selling food/beverages.

There used to be excursions you could take from BSJP, I think they were combining Gri Gri Lagoon and Playa Grande into one excursion. You could take a cab and arrange a pre-determind pick-up time. Not sure how much it would cost, it's roughly about 15 minutes from BJSP.

I've also heard Caleton beach is very nice as well however I've never made it there myself. It's just a lttle bit further east than Playa Grande.

Alberta
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

I agree with mra1 - I do not mind the beach at the BPSJ. The large sandbags while unsightly do serve a purpose and many people enjoy jumping off them. Use caution if you decide to climb up on them as they are VERY slippery and cause abrasions similar to rug burns.

Although Playa Grande may be a great beach for boogie boarding etc. or those who enjoy big waves I personally do not like it. I do not enjoy big waves crashing over my head when I am only 6 feet or so from shore!

Alberta
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

Further to above message. I do enjoy the beaches at Playa Caleton as well as Playa La Entrade. All of these beaches are available on different excursions. Chipin is correct in that Playa Grande is included with GriGri lagoon (or was when we did this tour in 2008).

The nicest area of the beach at the BPSJ is in front of the Diamond area. The area in front of the Golden Section is also quite nice but there are some questionable areas between the middle and Golden section. It is a great long beach for walks.

6. Re: Principe San Juan to Playa Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2010, 06:19