We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

I see a lot of people in this forum have stayed at this resort. I am wondering about your experiences with the food. I will be about 5 months pregnant when I travel there. I normally don't worry about food when I travel, but since I will be pregnant I want to be extra careful.

Do they use purified water to cook with in the kitchen? Are there foods I should avoid (salad, fruit, ice cubes, etc.) Have any of you ever been sick from the food?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Edited: 02 January 2010, 19:35
England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

Hello,

Congrtatulations on your forthcoming family addition.

As I understand it all resorts use purified water.Not that there is anything wrong with the DR water except that, with guests from all over the world, there is no chance that people will be poorly because they are not used to the water.

We have had no problems with the food at the ICD. The only exception to the otherwise lovely food was the Brazilian a la carte where the meat was incredibly tough but that was probably due to us being at the second sitting.

However, for professional advice on what to food etc to advoid, being careful in the heat, and what to do on the flight , the best person to speak to is your doctor.

Have a lovely holiday.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,800 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

Hi Janellefosler,

As a repeater over quite a few years now to the ICD, I can tell you the resort uses purified water to cook with and wash all salads with purified water too. Ice cubes are safe as these are made with purified water too.

On all our visits we have never ever had any sickness with the food at the ICD their hygiene practices in handling food are impeccable as all members of staff wear gloves.

I think where guests do get ill in the DR is not drinking enough water to keep hydrated and sitting in the sun too long, rather than move into the shade for a while, over-eating and drinking too many drinks with coconut milk, which is a natural laxative and also over indulging on the alcohol drink.

The only thing to remember is not to brush your teeth with the tap water in your room, you are provided with a gallon drinking bottle in your cupboard next to your mini bar fridge for that or just use the bottled water from your mini bar fridge.

I am sure you will get other replies from repeat guests, that is the reason we keep going back as we know the food is is very good and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Angie.

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

Angelina52 writes: On all our visits we have never ever had any sickness with the food at the ICD their hygiene practices in handling food are impeccable as all members of staff wear gloves.

This belief that simply by wearing gloves while preparing or serving food - be it in the Carribean, UK, Europe or Canada - indicates "impeccable" practice drives me absolutley nuts!! Gloves are not, and never will be a substitute for good hand hygiene practices, aka HANDWASHING!!!

For some reason, people believe that by putting on a pair of gloves they become invincible - they will be unable to catch or transmit any microorganism. Oh so not true.

Let's look at the science kids - our hands are consistently colonized with transient bacteria, Staph aureus, Staph epi, E.coli etc. If we do not perform good hand hygiene prior to putting on the gloves, what we are really doing is just creating the perfect breeding ground for those bacteria to begin multiplying. And, because we believe that gloves make us safe, we don't wash our hands when removing and therefore can contaminate surfaces, food, each other with these organisms. Ever watch the omlet cook at the buffet? Yep, he/she has put on their gloves at 0620, reached for the pan, cracked eggs, wiped the cutting tray, tossed in the cheese, onions, ham etc from each of the bowls, wiped their sweaty brows, but hey, it's safe because they are wearing gloves - may be the same gloves at 1025 when you step up for your eggs, but not to worry - they are wearing gloves (which by now are just as contaminated as the unwashed hand).

I do not disagree with the general gist of Angelinas message - but please, let us not judge the appropriateness of food handling based soley on the fact that all the staff wear gloves.

I'll share a little outbreak tale from a major city in Ontario. Seems one of the produce people had been away and had caught Hep A - self limiting gastro-intestinal disease for the most part, but can be shed in stool for a period of time after the acute illness. Anyway, person comes back to work sorting lettus - was advised to wear gloves and to perform good hand hygiene (especially after bathroom breaks). Staff member wore the gloves, and wore the gloves and wore the gloves. As a result approximately 50 people who shopped at that specific store were diagnosed with Hep A. Tells me two things - gloves are no substitute for good hand hygiene, and 50 people likely didn't wash their lettus before making the salad.

What I generally see in people returning from the Caribean with upset tummies is related to either drinking water that has not been filterd (giardia) and salmonella from undercooked meats. And often in this population they have been taking meds which inhibit natural stomach acids (a natural human immune defence mechanism) and had taken antidiarrheal meds to stop the "squirts".

Keep hydrated, drink the bottled water, practice good hand hygiene yourself, if you see someone sneeze into the buffet salad, tell the staff, if you see grubby hands picking fruit off the platers without the tongs, do the same. Above all, remember, GLOVES ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD HAND HYGIENE!!!!

Happy travels!

C

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,800 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

bugsareus,

The staff at the ICD do change their gloves regularly you often see them leave their station of preparation, wash their hands and put on new gloves.But of course personal hygiene is paramount, there is no substitute for washing of hands. I totally agree with you there.

I have come across some guests personal hygiene practices in resorts that are digusting to say the least, not washing their hands from using the bathroom, and as you say picking up food without using tongs, parents who let their children pick up food and replace it back on the platters really annoy me, their is no education of hygiene there in the family unit, its just things you have to look out for wherever you travel round in this world.

Angie.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

Food is as safe as UK. Might I dare say safer than eating out in the UK.

Its a pretty safe country compared with say Egypt. I woundt take anti malaria drugs either.

A few ear infections mind I assume from pool

6. Re: Iberostar Costa Dorada Food - Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 06:17