We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Has anyone left Puerto Plata sense the earthquake in Haiti. It is so sad to see all the reports and loss of life on the tv. I am booked at the Coral Sol De Plata in a week and do not want

to go due to everything that has happened. Any reports or

undates on how things are in Puerto Plata would be appreciated.

I cannot get my money back and feel so unkind about having a holiday and things so bad just around the corner.

Thanks, Donna

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

The PP area is fine, No Prolbems at all from the quake. There are multiple threads on this.

Now if you are really feeling bad please pack an extra suitcase with clothes, medical supplies (even guaze and bandages), blankets etc for the relief efforts. If you need help I will be glad to come by and pick up your donatoins and bring them to the Dream Projects relief center.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147288-i27-k33241…

BObK

Gladstone, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Dont feel badly about taking your vacation, I would feel worse for cancelling and missing out on the opportunity to provide Haitian hotel workers with the opportunity to benefit from your support, moral or financial. In my opinion, do what we have done, make a cash donation to a reputable relief agency ( we sent cash to Global Medics, a Toronto based group who provide medical assistance and water purification equipment that they teach people in need to operate then donate the equipment when they leave the country, and Doctors Without Borders) this money will be put too good use immediately and where the need is greatest. Then you can also pack useful items to donate at the hotel. Of course, while you are on holiday tip generously, we have found that the majority of the gardeners are Haitian, and make sure to tip them and give them useful gifts when we visit.

Having done all that, we will be able to enjoy our much anticipated holiday knowing we have done our part in giving back to these kind people who work so hard to make our vacations memorable.

washington, dc
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

I am traveling tom'w to PP and would like to bring relief items if it would be helpful and be able to be delivered to needy people in Haiti. Is there some way to reach you there so that the items can get to the Project you write of? thanks, Kim

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

"feel so unkind about having a holiday and things so bad just around the corner."

Consider this...

*If you don't go, will that help the situation?

*If you do go and take supplies, as suggested in the replies above, will THAT help the situation?

Long after the news networks stop carrying the news from this dreadful event, the people of the island in general will still need the inward investment that tourism brings. Don't feel guilty for not suffering as they are, recognise that by spending your money there and by donating useful items, you are helping to redistribute wealth by supporting employment etc.

So my advice is do something useful & practical and then get on with enjoying your holiday.

*EDIT Coz of bad speeling

Edited: 15 January 2010, 19:10
washington, dc
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

I am traveling tom'w to PP and would like to bring relief items if it would be helpful and be able to be delivered to needy people in Haiti. Is there some way to reach you there so that the items can get to the Project you write of? thanks, Kim

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Kim, while B0bK will probably speak for himself later, as you may have set off before he sees this, most hotels have internet access and there is an internet access point at the plaza in Playa Doradas, so if nothing else, you can come back to this site and send Bob a Personal Message (PM). Use the PM's to negotiate when and where to meet Bob.

The main thing is your generosity in taking the supplies, even if you miss Bob, there will be other ways to donate. You could even use it as a good reason to have a day in Cabarete and visit the Dream Project office directly, then you can gain first hand information about what is happening.

toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Thanks for your reply BobK and everyone else. We have donated $500.00

to the Haiti Red Cross and we will be bringing supplies down. I have

connections with a medical company and will be bring supplies down

along with blankets, some clothing etc. Thanks for the offer BobK but

my family would like to go to Cararete anyway, so we will go to the

Dream Project offices and drop off the suitcase. Robin5617Orono. you mentioned useful gifts that I could take for some staff, any suggestions as I have never been there before and would have no idea as what small gifts to take. I have lots of tip money, but gifts would be nice too.

bob.donna

Edited: 16 January 2010, 15:49
Ontario, CANADA
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Hi Donna,

I was totally in the same view as you. I do have full cancellation insurance. i agree with what many others are saying. We don't leave until Jan 29th - I'd be very interested in hearing how your trip was. I stayed at Breezes years ago & wish we were going back there. We are going to San Juan (Gran Bahia) which is much closer to Haiti. I do think we must exercise extreme caution too and we won't be going on any trips outside of the resort.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

"I do think we must exercise extreme caution too and we won't be going on any trips outside of the resort."

I genuinely can not think of any reason why visitors to the Dominican Republic need to "exercise extreme caution" because of the situation in Haiti. Politically Haiti was probably more unstable about five years ago. Right now, I doubt if there will be any problems spilling over in to DR and if it does, it will be restricted to the border areas. If people restrict themselves by not going out due to fear of problems in Haiti, then I believe they are worrying unnecessarily.

Gladstone, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is anyone back yet after the earthquake in Haiti

Hello Bob/Donna, it is so heartwarming to see so many vacationers stepping up to the plate.

In my humble opinion, at this point in time cash tips are the best gifts, the Haitian hotel workers are at the bottom of the pay totem pole and I would say the majority are working hard to send money home to their families.

Pre-disaster I would recommend gifting with personal care items, work gloves, and clothing, and I always take a big package of treats such as Hot Rods, which are always a big hit with the gardeners. ( Can you tell I have a soft spot for the Gardeners?) We also take as many pair of dollar store reading glasses as we can find, we have a Haitian friend who lives in Samana and he helps find people who need them.

What we take for granted here can be a luxury for many employees at the hotel. Many are young people who are working hard to help their families back home in Haiti.

Whatever you do for these people is always greatly appreciated.

We are leaving for Samana next Sunday to celebrate our 20th and are anticipating a different type of vacation than what we were expecting when we booked, but are so grateful we have the opportunity to give comfort to the people we have befriended over the years.

Enjoy your holiday!