We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Hi Everyone!

We are planning a trip to Puerto Plata. Airfare is already purchased. We have not booked our hotel package yet. I'm looking for everyone's suggestions on which area is the best.

I understand that the beaches will not come close to that of Punta Cana but we chose Puerto Plata because we want to be able to explore more out of the resort and really see another country...

So with that said... What area would be your favorite to stay in? Sosua? Cofresi? Playa Dorada? Which has the best beaches? Any specific resort?

As of right now, our tentative plan is to stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. I just don't want to be disappointed. If there is better out there.....

Thanks for any feedback!

Tara

USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

I should of probably included that - We are a family traveling with children. We love good food, a wonderful pool, and some entertainment would be great.

Thanks Again!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

If you want to explore then you do not want to be in Playa Dorada, if you have kids then Sosua is completely out of the question. Most adventurers or people with intent on doing something constructive with a vacation tend to head to Cabarete. Good for families, good scene, generally good people and safe as it gets on the NorthCoast.

Edited: 16 January 2010, 02:19
Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

I would agree that Cabarete is the best place given that you want to get out and about. For a family, I would suggest you consider renting a condo/apartment. Cabarete has a great choice of places to eat out in and an apartment gives you the freedom to snack as you want/do breakfast yourself etc.

There are many condo resorts that will suit all pockets, for example...

Ocean One/Ocean Dream- High end. Never stayed there but I've been inside and what I saw was excellent.

Royal Residence- Mid range quality & price. Quite small, friendly complex where you'll soon be saying 'hi' to other guests.

Cita-del-Sol- Cheap but still nice enough. Right in the centre of town. I've stayed there and have no problem recommending it.

I've a vague recollection that there is an apartment at the Hotel Alegria, which is a good, friendly place. No pool but really close to the sea at the calm end of the bay.

[edit] PS Obviously renting a condo won't tick the entertainment box for you. I'm not aware of any condo complexes where entertainment is included.

Edited: 16 January 2010, 02:40
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Cabarete with out a doubt.

Besides the condos mentioned there is Wyndham Tangerine (all inclusive) at the west end of the beach and Velero hotel on the east end with lots between.

BObK

USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Thank you for the replies!

Although, I'm finding that it's becoming very difficult to plan this vacation. Just when you thought you did enough research... I thought that I did enough research to narrow it down to where we wanted to go. Now I'm second guessing myself...

We chose DR. Then we had the choice between Punta Cana and Puerto Plata... We decided on Puerto Plata because we wanted do be able to get out more and get a real feeling for the Dominican culture. Have more things to do in a closer proximity...The true experience of visiting another country. We wanted to be able to take tours and have experiences. We did not want to be limited to just an all inclusive resort. So best of both worlds.

BobK - I see that you are listed as an "expert" and I've already bothered Angie quite a bit in regards to staying at the ICD. Would you be willing to give your "expert" opinion.

We are a young family. We are in our 30's with 3 small children. We have never been out of the states.... We are looking for an all inclusive resort within the Puerto Plata area. We have already purchased our airfare, so we are limited to flying into that airport. We are looking for a family friendly area. A nice beach - clean, warm water, with the chance to snorkel. The option of taking a few excursions (Monster Truck, City Tour, and Ocean World) that are guided but also the chance to wander off and discover the local scene (flea markets, local restaurant...... )

Thanks Again

Tara (completely lost planning this vacation...) :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Iberostar COsta Dorada is a wonderful family resort for families.

We have stayed at this resort 4 times.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Hello,

I'll second the ICD.

it is a lovely family focused resort, great food, lovely grounds, beautiful palm fringed beach and super staff. It also represents excellent value for money.

Have a wonderful holiday which ever resort you choose.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

ICD is good and they love children >they also have a very good kids club

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,430 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

Tara,

While a resort in Playa Dorada will allow you to get the AI experience you're looking for as well as going on tours, it will not give you a chance " to wander off and discover the local scene (flea markets, local restaurant...... )"

That's the reason other members, including B0Bk is suggesting Cabarete. However, as much as I'd like you to visit Cabarete, if you have small children, the ocean in the area of the Viva Wyndham, Ocean Dreams, etc. is not suitable for small children. Bigs waves, lots of kite surfers. Although Velero is not an AI is very nice and the ocean in that area is shallower, mostly flat during the mornings and with smaller waves in the afternoon hours. There are many families that come to Cabarete with small children, and regardless where you stay, you need to move to the east side of the bay for calmer waters.

I'm not a great fan of Sosua. However, you can find really nice calm waters in Sosua beach and surrounding areas. I will leave it to B0bK who lives in Sosua to tell you more about your options there. If he does not post here again, you can always send him a PM.

Best regards from sunny Cabarete,

Silvia

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata - Which area is the best to stay in?

We stayed at the Iberostar last year in March. At that time my kids were 13 & 14. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our vacation from the time we landed to the time we got home. The Iberostar is excellent for children in my opinion. They have tonnes of activities for smaller children and also for teenagers. My kids were never bored and I didn't see any children bored at all. The entertainment team is fantastic. The smaller kids are in some of the shows in the evenings as well. The Lion King show was perfect. The rooms were large and had a balcony on them. The food was spectacular in both the buffets. Me and one of my daughters are very picky and still ate well. We ate at the seafood ala carte restaurant and didn't care for it, but we don't like seafood, my husband and my other daughter loved it. The waiter seen that my one daughter wasn't eating and brought her crackers, cheese and Jello LOL. Everything about this hotel is perfect. Just to your left on the beach you can go to a little market on the beach they have some cool stuff there. You can also get your hair braided there. We also walked to the plaza it is a fair jaunt down the road but it was a nice walk. You just walk out of the resort and turn right. We shopped there for a bit and My one daughter wanted to eat at Pizza Hut so we ate lunch there one day. We also went on the Outback Safari and it was awesome, you get to see all kinds of stuff probably the best tour we went on. We also went on the Puerto Plata city tour where we got to go into town and see the church and some other stuff, but the best part was the market. We actually went back into town to the market. We also did a day at Sea World and swam with the dolphins, sharks and stingrays. A little pricey but well worth it I thought. Kind of a once in a lifetime thing, I've done it and don't think I would spend the money to do it again. At Ocean World you can go snorkelling and all kinds of stuff to see and shows to see. There is a little pool there as well. You can go into a cage with a bunch of birds that speak spanish so if you talk to them say Hola rather than Hello LOL. If you have any other questions feel free to email me.