We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

My husband and I are travelling at the end of February to the Dominican Republic and can each bring an extra 50 pound bag (100 pounds total). Before the earthquake we were planning on bringing items to donate to a local school or charity. Since the earthquake, we have read of ways to get supplies to Haiti from the Dominican Republic. And just to put it out there, we have already donated money to Haiti.

In your opinion, should we bring supplies for the people of the Dominican Republic still or try to get supplies to Haiti? By that time, do you think all the foreign aide and charities pouring into Haiti will have them in better footing?

If you think I should bring supplies for the Dominican, what items are most needed? I have access to medical supplies, or can gather school items or food. Whether I donate to Haiti or DR, I must think of weight and size restrictions as I have to fit it all in two 50 pound bags.

Thanks!

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

Oh, and just to add, I have read the previous posts on this subjects and saw the suggestions of medical supplies and coloring books, etc. for Haiti. I have also researched the Dominican Crossroads website. The previous info was great, just wanted to gather some more!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

Can I please direct you to the thread with suggestions and comments at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147292-i243-k3322…

Thank you to all who consider donating anything at all.

Kak

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

I am sometimes known as Kak, but I was in a hurry! (Battery about to die.)

Kaki

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

Kaki, thank you for showing me this forum. I didn't look in the Punta Cana forums so I missed all the wonderful info you shared! I think the "Leave your Clothes" behind is a wonderful idea and hope to take advantage of it in Puerta Plata. Still wondering whether or not to bring supplies for Haiti or Dominican. I will just keep up with the news and follow the situation in Haiti.

5. Re: Bringing Supplies to Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 08:16