We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinks

cornwall
Level Contributor
360 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
drinks

Just curious as to what are popular drinks in PP.

Last year in Cuba it was Purple Rain,Rum Slush,Mojito....etc

What is popular in PP. Also what does the beer compare to here in Canada.....Bud Light is what I drink....Is the beer there compareable?

3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinks

A popular drink in PP & through out the DR is called a Bananamama;

Dominican rum is comparable to Cuba's 7 year stock excellent bite;

Dominican beer is El Presidente - comparable to Cuba's Crystal

You will be able to find most north american sprits in the DR, and some really excellent top shelf deluxe's, unlike Cuba where some popular sprits & liqueure's are more limited

Either way; your garanteed to wake up with a solid hang over if you over indulge.

Cheers

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinks

As for the Rum ask for Brugal...its a dark rum and a much better taste to the white which is what you will get.

As for the Beer...I also drink Bud Light here but enjoy the Presidente...add a squeeze of lime once in a while just for a change of pace....enjoy

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinks

Most drinks are Rum based if you are not having it in a Cocktail or strong mixer I always ask for the Aged Brugal or Barcelo which is better Quality.

The Beer always tastes much the same to me whatever one I have - I often mix it with a bit of Sprite which we call a lager top in the UK, makes it more drinkable.

You can get most Cocktails in any Hotel and if not on the list the will make it for you if you know the Recipe.

Wine Varies tremondously but I rarely pay extra for it and do with the House stuff.

Generally I'm happy with Rum & Coke and Lemonadey Beer though.

Cheers

snooks

Edited: 28 January 2010, 20:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinks

Wasnt that keen on Presidente. A bit too gassy and sweet. Would say alcohol about 3.2 %

Occasional bad beer that tastes metallic or expired keg. Still drank a lot of it though.

G & T OK. Cant really mess that one up eh?

Mojitis. The guys tried hard and bought me some mint from market but never enough. Was good when we had it.

The drink CUPRA something as a local drink like mojito no mint

Just OK. Did the job. Plenty of decent or rather palatable wines as many hotels Spanish

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drinks

I have been to the DR a couple times now. I drink Coors Light and I found the beer there comparable. It is ice cold and quenches the thirst. Nothing better than sitting in the hot sun with a beer with the cold condensation running down the side of your glass.

See you guys on the beach.

Trenton,Ontario
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: drinks

Hello,

I prefer the Normany brand of rum to Brugal, as Brugal always seems to have a musty taste to me. My husband has fun trying everything as he likes a variety. Of course he doesn't mix the types of alcohol on a given day. Watch out for the 151 proof rum! It is quite a trip! lol

Trenton,Ontario
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: drinks

Sorry, make that Normandy.

Mentioned in this post
canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: drinks

Bananamama hmmmmm sounds good

toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: drinks

anything with brugal rum = delicious.

10. Re: drinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 08:16