We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money from the UK

Durham
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Money from the UK

Hi,

My partner always gets the currency at Marks and Spencer before we go anywhere...

Looking at the exchange rates just now I see it's:

Dominican Peso 52.727

US Dollar 1.5094

What percentage should we get of each? 50/50?

We intend doing some trips and some odd shopping here and there to the Playa Dorada Plaza and possibly Puerta Plata, maybe on our own...

We have been to Punta Cana and did not use the Peso at all, since it's mainly resort based at the Grand Palladium resorts and they use Dollars at the shops on the resort...

So what is best for us? I know we need 60 Dollars to get in and out anyways and thought dollars may be better for tips?

Thanks

John

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
39,873 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money from the UK

Hi John,

I usually take a little currency in pesos to just tide me over than use ATM's as they only give out pesos and at a good rate, but do inform your bank of the dates you are in the Dom. Rep as they will block your card for fraudulent use. But you can take GBP and just change them in the exchange cambios in the shopping mall in the Complex.

Tipping I also do that in pesos that is what I have done on all my trips to the DR. that is their currency so they can spend it easily, if you tip as some people say in $$$ they have to exchange the $$$ into pesos then loose money on the exchange, its far better for them if you tip in pesos.

Even though prices off resort are priced in $US you will get trips, shopping and taxis at a better rate if you ask to pay in pesos.

Angie.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money from the UK

Wot Angie said...

You can take sterling and change it in a cambio at a better rate than changing it before you go. If you doubt that, read the thread below :-)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147288-i27-k32442…

Durham
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money from the UK

Yeah, no matter what I say my partner will get the currency in the UK.

One point to note is that although you use an ATM in the Dominican it's your UK bank that gives you the exchange rate not the ATM...Some UK banks also charge for this...

The difference in the exchange makes no odds, it's what a pound or two out per hundred pounds...

The better half always gets it at Markies before we go...we do take cards in the event we need more...and I use a card for any serious purchases..

Thanks

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money from the UK

Well you won't buy in the Plaza in the resort, I presume you are from UK as you use Marksies , sorry the plaza is all in huge US sizes, unless you are US size nothing will fit you. And apart from that they have very little.

I would advise bring 40/60 heavy on pesos, and use the dollars up first and keep the pesos for later on when you are doing more independently. Having a trip up to Cabarete or even a shopping day in Santiago etc.

Have fun.

Durham
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money from the UK

Thats good news about the US sizes...I'm that size...

:-)

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money from the UK

And from Durham, makes sense, the land of the pie munchers!!!

No worries, you will be happy if you are a fatty. I'm originally from slimmer Morpeth up the road from you.

Durham
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Money from the UK

No No No Drifty....

I'm originally from Glasgow...Fried Mars Bars etc etc etc...

Although only put the weigt on when I met the wife, she is from Newcastle..land of the Greggs....

Seriously though...it makes a change not being able to buy 2XL anywhere else if the plaza has it then all the better...

Durham
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money from the UK

Geordies ( and Pseudo Geordies lol ) we get everywhere dont we ? Tell someone you are actually more a maccum than a Geordie and they look lost. Once met a very nice couple from Morpeth....i cannot digress !! Mecca. ( Try having your mates shout of you in an airport with that name and turn to see a well tanned part Morroccan, gets people a bit nervous i can tell you ! ) Mecca.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money from the UK

Try shopping around for exchange rates rather than just going to marks and spencer. Last time I went away Thomas cook would beat any rate I'd been given. I've been having a look recently and the post office and marks and spencers haven't had as good rates as the different travel agencies I've checked. Hope this helps

10. Re: Money from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:17