We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Please tell me what I should be bringing for Dominican people/ children. Threads say school supplies, sports equipment (baseball gloves, balls) for the kids but what else is needed for adults? Thanks!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

You can bring just about anything and it will be appreciated. I usually stock up on school supplies, colouring books/crayong, sports equipment, small toys and games and other fun things for the kids. I also bring some necessities including toothbrushes/toothpaste, shampoo, deodarent, soap and other everyday items we seem to take forgranted. Another item that is very popular is the chocolate and candy. I usually stock up after a holiday (Valentines day, easter, halloween, etc.) and take large boxes of the small packages down. Anything you bring is always appreciated. We also bring some clothing as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

thanks the Valentines chocolate after the holiday is a great idea I will definately do that.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

It might be cheaper just to buy whatever you want to buy here. Toothpaste and toothbrushes are very very cheap, so is soap and shampoo etc. Infact it is pretty much all cheaper here.

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Please; do not bring candy! Dental care in the D.R. is not achieveable for most Dominicans. Toothpaste and other dental products are a wonderful idea!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Candy is absolutely fine for anyone as long as they brush their teeth. Both is a good idea.

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Dude... a lot of Dominicans cannot afford toothpaste, tooth brushes or floss. If they do get a cavity the odds that they will go to a dentist is nil. The children that flock around the tour buses are of this ilk. Your status states you are from Santo Domingo. The education in the dental area may be much better there than it is in the campo. AND... I have 1st hand accounts of this problem.... my wife is from the campo and since she has been in America (approx. 1 1/2 years she has had over 15 dental appointments and still has several more before all the problems are corrected.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

Thats great, I live in Santo Domingo now but have lived all over the Island for 10 years including the barrios.. I have a wife from the Campos and a daughter who has been slightly luckier. None of this makes any difference. A toothbrush here is 5pesos from the barrios, a tube of toothpaste is 10-15pesos.

Even the worst ofnf kids here are entitled to enjoy the odd bit of candy. Giving them the candy ad the toothpaste is the best idea. If people brush teeth then they don't get bad teeth, doesn't matter what you eat as long as you brush.

I think it is lovely that people bring gifts for the kids, but really, it is more for the tourists than for the kids. The kids that really need it are in the orphanages, most chuck stuff off a bus or give to those who t plenty anyway.

Anyway, enough on this, I'm just giving a bit of info on how it is here, what might be an idea to do. I am not telling anyone what to do. Candy or not, buy it here, tis much cheaper.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

murphds..,

Lets put it this way..,would YOU want YOUR kids taking candy from complete strangers..,probably not.,so it is not something I would encourage anybody to do...,and for anybody to endorse this ..,well that's just soooo wrong, in so many ways.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

haha, this isn't a city environment where people pull up in a car and ask the kids to get in, lol. I've seen the advert as well. It is a very much different environment here and as far as hand outs go, the visitors are usually accompanied by guides or reps, whatever.

I wish people would relax a little.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should I be bringing to donate to Dominicans & Kids

I love the idea of bringing whatever I can down and donating it to the orphanages. We do usually give stuff to our maid or wait staff/bartenders that we become friendly with. Can you tell me where the orphanage is where I could donate these things? We are staying at Coral Sol, Cabarete. thanks!