We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Blue Bay on Sunday, March 7. When we claimed our luggage off the carousel in Toronto my husband's and brother-in-law's bags had been opened.

Luckily nothing was missing from my husband's bag but my brother-in-law was missing an expensive watch. Both suitcases had been gone through thoroughly. The watch was inside a case inside a toiletry bag. All had been opened. This may have happenened in Toronto but the bags spent a much longer time on the ground in Puerto Plato.In future we will carry anything of any value in our carryon luggage. In this instance because my brother-in-law had more than one watch with him, he never even thought about the watch being in his luggage.With the restrictions on carry on we tend to limit what we take on the aircraft. Not so in future.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,046 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

There have been quite a few threads about this happening on the forums.We will never know where the bags get opened and items of value get taken from the suitcases.

Good advice is to pack anything of value in your carry on or wear it on your person for safe keeping.

Angie.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

I agree. It can happen anywhere your luggage sits. Anything of value should never leave your person. Keep in on you, or in a carry-on that doesn't leave your side. Unfortunately, that's how it is.

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
615 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pack anything of value in your checked luggage.... I can not count how many times that is preached and people still do it!

BTW, we cannot blame any one airport - there was a big bust at Toronto Airport just in the past year or 2 of baggage handlers - remember - they have seen the x-rays of your luggage. Luggage is x-rayed in Toronto when inbound - not just the outbound.

Stratford,Ontario,Ca...
Level Contributor
389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Sorry to hear of the theft, and I hope you had a great holiday at Blue Bay..heading there in 26 sleeps, and can't wait to get there.....

glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Same thing at Glasgow airport last year. We use those padlocks that only security can open but it can still happen.

Agree with others never leave anything of value in a case.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Also, it's worth knowing that zip type cases may as well not even have a padlock on them, opening the zip is so quick & easy. I won't post 'where' on here, but having watched a video on-line, I tried to open an old suitcase that we were throwing out. It took me a matter of seconds to open it and then re-seal it, without damaging the zip or touching the lock.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,046 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Yes I too have watched that video it is so quick and easy to get into zipped luggage...............the video is out there for everyone to see, I am sure plenty of opportunists know where to find the info.

Angie.

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

Hi Keith

I know exactly what you talking about

all I will say is...go on to You Tube.. I will not put anything else but that on here..

and your right... it took my husband 10 seconds to open our case...after seeing that.. even WITH a padlock on.... and you can re zip it and NO-ONE would know any difference.

Canada
Level Contributor
735 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

That's sick, time to buy some better luggage, would any one know if some brand name has marketed any kind of alternative luggage.

UK
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft from Luggage-Puerto Plata Airport

my sister-in-law who works for Thomas Cook sent me this...

Maybe... this would help

A final concern for checked luggage is locking it. With today's security, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) may open luggage at any time to inspect it, even after it has been checked. This means that they can break open any lock at any time, and your luggage could be returned with a broken

◦Purchase a TSA approved suitcase lock. They are combination locks that allow you to program a personal code to open them. They can also be opened by a key that TSA officials have. That way, the TSA can open your bag, check through it, and relock it. Anyone without the key or the combination cannot get into your bag. If the lock is opened with a TSA key, a security light changes from green to red alerting you that the lock was opened. Also, if the TSA does open your locked luggage, they are required by law to insert a slip of paper telling you they have done so.

if you put T.S.A suitcase lock into your search engine you can buy them anywhere. about £5 to £6 each.

www.johnlewis.com/230429204/Product.aspx…

I know I'm going to get one after reading this....lol

Chrissy