We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Tours

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracebridge...
14 posts
Save Topic
Re: Tours

Is $400.00 Canadian really worth it for our family of four for the Outback Safari ( through Martin Espinol). Seem like alot of cash, although it would be great to show our teens the Dominican culture.

Any suggestions

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Tours

Would you know the exchange rate from Canadian to US dollars? We took the tour last year and it was well worth it.

Manitoba
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Tours

I talked to some people who went on the outback Safari then enjoyed it greatly, but said for less money renting quads was just as entertaining.

Calgary,Ab Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Tours

We did Dominican Discovery and we had a great day. It was $69.US per person and worth every penny. I hear Outback takes you to the beach to Boogie board which you can do any day at your own beach. Dominican Discovery took us to the Waterfalls at Imbert, horseback riding which was so much fun then to a local village to see a gentlemen carve from petrified wood and volcanic rock (got some awesome carvings) then the lunch was supplied by the locals and then to a small place where they showed us the coffee roasting and grinding and then thru the countryside with free flowing Rum (after the falls and riding) all the way back to hotel. A full day from 8am to 5pm. Highly Highly recommend

Calgary,Ab Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Tours

P.S. there were 5 of us ages 47, 51, 17, 21 & 22

Ontario,canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Tours

OutBack Safari

I have not done the out back safari, but a family from Niagara Falls did the Safari on January 5th, their 11 year old son, ran ahead and jumped in to the water at a designated swimming spot and was pulled under. Sadly, they buried their son on January 12th. He was under the falls for 10 minutes. Before the guides could find him. So if you do go please be carefull and listen to the guides. You have to remember that the DR is beautiful but it is still a poor country and the safety standards are not the same as in Canada. My neighbours who did the safari had no troubles on their tour.

Bracebridge...
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Tours

Wow Worriedmom.

Please accept my condolences, and thank you for a heads up.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Tours

Just for the record, the tour in question was NOT the Outback Jungle Safari Tour, as they do NOT take their clients to the waterfalls at Imbert or anyother waterfalls. There are many copycat tours and it was one of those.

Gregg

UK
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Tours

If you go to the plaza or the beach, look for "Remone", if he dosnt find you first, the reps tell you not to book on the beach but we did last year (our second visit) and it cost us half the amount that the reps were asking, the trip was tops, the waterfalls they take you to climb up are awsome

Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Tours

I was on that tour.

The boy did not jump ahead.He was amongst the tour guides, 5 of them, and doing what they said. For that quick moment the boy went under , the 5 guides were not paying attention and did not see him go under.

The tour company was Alegria. Manuel , the President walks the beach, says his company is licensed by Jack Tar, he knows everyone , all Jack Tar staff.

Probably a safe tour in dry weather condiitons.

But money far outweighs human life .

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Tours

We booked through Elle Tours in Sousua in November. We did the waterfall trip and loved it - it was a highlight of our trip. I found it very upsetting to hear about the boy drowning. There was several young children along on our trip but no one had any problems. We paid $25us through Elle Tours and the hotel tour groups wanted $75us. We were very happy with Elle Tours - did 3 trips with them.