We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

Hello,

I went to the docs to get my injections and she also advised me to

buy malaria tablets and take these from 7 days before traveling. One of my friends has been to the Dominican and she said a lot of people were sick from them. Do you guys normally take the tablets?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

We were advised the same as in two tablets (at the same time) once a week from the week before we go for six weeks. We were advised the ones you take daily are more likely to have side effects? not sure if this is true. Some travel insurance policies are void if you dont take them so check this before you decide.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

I take the advice of my GP also and buy the tablets called Avloclor.

My insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry. So I would look into your travel insurance.

Even though as BobK will probably be along very soon and say that malaria has not been diagnosed in the North for many years....he and many do not take any tablets ................I always go by the recommendation from this site also …scot.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominica… and of course check your travel insurance.

Angie.

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

Thanks for your reply, she didn't tell me about the ones where you take two a day - that's deffo worth it if it takes away the side effects!

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

Thanks Angie, yeah I wouldn't want to take the risk, the last thing I want on a holiday is to be ill.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

Which tablets did your Dr say to buy by the way.

Angie.

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

She didn't give me a brand name, just told me to get some and that I'd be able to pick them up in Boots. Are there lots of different types?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

The brand name that we use is Avloclor that I mentioned in my earlier post, which can be bought at Boots or Superdrug. It seems most people buy this tablet.

Two tablets taken once a week, on the day each week.

Starting 1 week before you travel and continue until 4 weeks after leaving the DR.

Angie.

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

That's great thanks, I'll get those ones.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

just a little tip...buy them from somewhere like Tesco's pharmacy...tend to be cheaper.

Also, we found taking them with yogurt helped with the taste...they are awful! x

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets Advice Please.

Great tip - I would never have thought of that! Thanks :-)