We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BE WARNED......trashy beach

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
BE WARNED......trashy beach

Just got back from POP and will be writing a stellar review on my stay at Casa Colonial (the highlight of my trip). However, I will not be returning to the area (and never would have gone in the first place) unless some things happen with the beach there.

First, the beach is trashy.

Second, the water is trashy.

Third, the whole beach experience is trashy.

I will post pictures on my review because it seems like I can post them on the forum. However, take my word for it. Three separate occasions really stand out. One, I was in the water and kept feeling stuff around my legs. I thought it was seaweed so no big deal. But when it never really moved on, I raised my leg to find a plastic garbage bag around my ankle. As we noticed, there was trash everywhere in the water.

Second, was looking out over the water in the late afternoon one day and noticed a floatilla of what I thought was schooling fish. Upon closer look, it was a line of trash (household waste) that was slowly moving in toward the beach.

Third, on the several walks over several days that I took with my wife on the beach, there was trash everywhere. Plastic bottles, cups, bags, empty food waste containers, grocery bags, you name it. Just gross.

I do know that the locals in the DR know about the problem because there was a few guys and a tractor that tried to pick up the trash and seaweed on a daily basis early in the morning BUT, despite their best efforts, it was back in the afternoon.

If I had known of this, I would have chosen to spend my vacation dollars elsewhere.

As I stated earlier, I will try and post these pictures elsewhere in my review.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Yep you're right,

Many nations, including our own use the water ways as a garbage dump out of site, out of mind, but that doesn't make it right.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

But why is this? Does Puerto Plata dump its trash in the ocean and it work its way over?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Can't wait for the stellar review and picture evidence, of this no 3 rated hotel

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Please let us know when you have posted your review & pictures.

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
701 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Beaches at Playa Dorada were stunning and very clean as was the water,

Here are a some pictures to back up this -

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Thank you for posting those photos. It proves that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

Just wondering, had there been particularly heavy rain shortly before you experienced this? Sometimes heavy rain washes more debris in to the rivers which ends up in the sea. It then takes a while to be dispersed or cleaned up. Much of the rubbish that the west coast USA dumps in to the sea ends up washing ashore in Hawaii. There is a small island in the Atlantic (can't remember its name) where the same happens for east coast & European rubbish.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

I've been there many times. Never saw it to that extent. Something I did hear however, and not sure if it would change your opinion, but, I heard much of the waste accumulating along that particular beach comes from Cruise ships. Is that true? Not sure, but sounds believable. Still gross though.

9. Re: BE WARNED......trashy beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 05:15