We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling alone

I was at Sun Village last month and had a great time - I am thinking of going again alone this time (since everyone I know is working/broke) even though it means I'll have to pay the single supplment (:-()...

I am wondering who's travelled alone and how good of a time they have had relative to having a friend with them? Any suggestions or advice for me? I am a single woman in my 20s.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone

Hi delineation!

I have traveled at various times with a friend, a boyfriend, a group of 10 seniors, a group of 16 for a wedding and alone. Each one offers a totally different vacation experience but it's all good!

The single supplement is a bugger, but we just have to suck it up and see if the trip is worth $XXX and not think about how much extra we are paying. At least we don't have to share the bathroom!

If you are prepared to travel alone then you will be fine. I didn't ever want to so I wasn't ready for it. Once I decided that I could stay home for want of a traveling companion or I could go alone, I found that I was ready. The first time I did it, I saw it as a challenge. I would see how it went and if it wasn't any good, I wouldn't do it again. But it was not only fine, it was great! It put me in a position where if I wanted to talk to somebody or visit, I had to make it happen. I met so many more people on that first trip than I have when I've traveled with people. When I wanted alone time, I didn't have to consult with anybody and I only did what I wanted to do. It was very liberating.

It sounds like your plan is to return to the same place that you were before, which is exactly what I did too. There is comfort in knowing the lay of the land and what to expect, rather like a safety net. You likely know people there now too which is comforting as well.

I think you'll have a great time. See it as an adventure when you feel challenged and enjoy your freedom! If you have particular questions, feel free to ask.

Kaki

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone

Hi Kaki,

Thanks for your advice. I am planning on going back to the same resort also because I know the food is good and safe and I don't want the possibility of getting sick if I'm alone.

I am wondering about excursions. Did you go on any by yourself? The idea of eating alone for my meals is kind of offputting too...did that get to you?

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone

Hi Kaki,

Thanks for your advice. I am planning on going back to the same resort also because I know the food is good and safe and I don't want the possibility of getting sick if I'm alone.

I am wondering about excursions. Did you go on any by yourself? The idea of eating alone for my meals is kind of offputting too...did that get to you?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone

It's so much different for a old guy to solo than a young woman. I go off on my own maybe 3 times a year, whether on cruises, resorts like Jack Tar this Jan. or out travelling and seeing this great hemisphere. At my age, (55) not many people are going to bother with me, and I find I can pick and choose when to engage with other travellers. Great time for reading, meditation, sorting ideas out, coming to terms with new plans and/or events. Still leaves me another 3 or 4 weeks to head out with the wife, so I find my "alone" times pretty special.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone

Hi Delineation,

I had this same issue last year when our fourth dropped out. We managed to find someone, she was a friend's friend.

I was worried that she may not get along with the three of us (as we haven't met and were total strangers) but it turned out pretty well for all of us and we all got along pretty well. She was pretty quite and opted out of some nights, which we didn't mind.

I told another buddy of mine about our trip this coming third week of Jan/06, and he wants to come, but he has the same issue. Single supplement!! We haven't booked, and are thinking of either Cancun or Puerto Plata... still up in the air. We are all in Toronto.

If you don't mind, maybe I can solve both of your problems. We are all fun loving guys burnout from our jobs, just wanting to relax and do a bit of partying as well. Please email me erristattle@hotmail.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone

delineation, I LOVE traveling solo. I have been doing it for about 5 years now and it is the only way I travel anymore. I have even come to enjoying the dining alone, I can really taste and enjoy my dinner. All of my senses are hightened to take in all of the beauty that is surrounding me it gives me a chance to commune with God, write in my journal, read a good book.

Enjoy your vacation.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

soo ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone

Good for you: My husband passed away 5 years ago and I ahd never traveled before. The first time I wnt I was sick with worry, after I got ther it was wonderful. I have been going fr a month at a time ever since. I go to the same resort because I feel safe. We are not the only ones. I have met many single men and women from all over the world and they come back every year, As for trips away from the hotel, I go all the time. There is always someone who will wan to go. Be brave and enjoy.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone

Hey dilineation!

I am not really considering doing any excursions alone, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't happen. I have a certain trip that I'd like to do, but it wouldn't be alone since I hope a local friend will go with me. The formal planned excursions wouldn't have me concerned, but it would be a fun factor. Some things I am happier doing with others. I had done an excursion when traveling with others. When traveling alone it didn't really arise since I had so much to do immediately at the resort, particularly snorkeling! Some people travel to the DR, I travel to the water around the DR! I would do an excursion though, no problem, if there was one that I wanted to do.

Meals are funny. When I was traveling with a bunch of other people, there was one day when they wanted to eat at a restaurant for lunch when I was craving another one, so I boldly went alone to the other. I brought my book and my concerns with me and thought how brave I was, but it wasn't that bad! Nobody knew me, nobody cared about me there alone, nobody pitied me (that I noticed!) and nobody thought that I was as brave as I thought I was! I watched people and thought about the trip that far and the next couple of days and was happily lost in my little world. That gave me a bit of power to return the next year alone, and I found it was often the same. I'd bring my book (which I never opened) and my camera and I'd take pictures and then hang out after breakfast with coffee or after lunch with a beverage and review/delete my pictures or just look around. I never ate an evening meal alone, having met a couple of people once at the resort.

I really think you'll be fine. You have bit the bullet and are proceeding and that desire will get you where you want to go. If you feel the desire to work any part of this through in more detail, go ahead and email me at kaki.ulan@sasktel.net!

Kaki

Providence
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone

As a 35 y/o male who quit his job at 28 and went around the world in 8 months (ALONE) I take my hat off to all of you solo travellers. We must be a special breed. I find that when I travel alone I actually have trouble being alone. People just gravitate towards me. Even in India "the white guy is interesting" I couldn't be left alone! They were just fascinated by the idea of someone traveling "so far" to see their country.

Because of the political unrest my recent travel experiences have been limited to the Western-Hemisphere but it's still very interesting. Just go with an open mind and remember your "street smarts".

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone

Hey there

I went on my own at Christmas and New Year and I had no problem meeting people.

I found excursions a great way to meet people, the Freestyle Cat in particlular.

If you go to Roadways, there's a girl called Jessica(English girl) who collects people from the hotels and walks them down to the bar in the evenings. Find what time and you can walk down with others and that way you'll be with group. She'll visit your hotel around the pool most days.

And buy her a burger 'cos they pay her a pittance and she doesn't eat properly!