We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is RIU bug back

nl
5 posts
Save Topic
Is RIU bug back

After reading several stories i'm a bit worried

I have booked a 2 weeks holiday to riu merengue early Jan.

Now it seems sickness came back.

They have put again some staff at the toilets with antibacterials

Can someone give some advice???

england
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is RIU bug back

Just keep reading and researching - it's not just the Riu's having some problemms - seems other places have had their share of this stuff too.

Difficult to know what is going on - but something sure isn't right.

Look for a thread by Jamaicanmecrazy recently - there is an recent article there saying about this stuff at a different place. Titled "Headed for Breezes Jan 15" I will look and bump thread to top for you to read.

Best you can do is read loads and be prepared?? Not sure what else you can do other than be prepared or change venues??

It is diffucult for people

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is RIU bug back

apparently Yes

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is RIU bug back

Riu bug is not back. Who is saying that it is back? There are no travel advisories are there?

Ontario
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is RIU bug back

To the previous poster,

You think that there will be an advisory posted on this one. Not. We were there last christmas when you could not find a healthy person on our return flight,and we all stayed at several different resorts. I'm on here thinking of booking for January but if it's started again I think I've had my question answered.

Good luck to all.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is RIU bug back

near north..who has said that it has started again?

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is RIU bug back

near north,,I too was there last Christmas, I know all to well what was going on. I don't think anything close is happening there this time. I think there are people "fueling" this one. There would be a travel advisory for Canadians, as there was one put put last year as well.

Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is RIU bug back

janshell2

The travel advisory last year came much too late. I had many conversations with health canada after we returned home. Some of my actions even got one of its workers in trouble although an advisory did eventually come.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is RIU bug back

ill,,I really don't think there is a major illness going around the resort. It is normal for a small percentage of people to come back ill. This also does not represent the majority of posters. The majority of posters have not been ill. If you go to many of the resorts on this board, you will always find some people that have come back ill from somewhere. I don't believe that there is anything serious going on like there was last year. Unfortunately because of what happened last year the Rius have gained a bad reputation, which is too bad because I happen to really enjoy the Riu chain.I have stayed at others which I did not enjoy nearly as much.

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is RIU bug back

Illinformed,

Seems like history repeating itself?? But I guess time will tell us whether this gets as bad as last year won't it?? Like yourself I know the complaints are about people getting seriously ill - and suffering long after effects - rather than they have had a bad meal and a slight travellers tum stuff.

I just guess the many that didn't get this illness will never understand what the warnings were about??

Yes, some adjustment is expected on anyones holiday - but the illness many have been warning others about is very different.

At one hotel recently some family were diagnosed with 3 diseases after travelling to DR (this is mentioned on Jamacianmecrazy's thread "Headed to Breezes Jan 15") - Nobody should have to expect that type of illness on a holiday should they??

Let's just hope some action is taken to stop this illness stuff occuring in DR so that people can travel without this worry.

Liz :0)

St. Louis Missouri
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is RIU bug back

First time traveler to the DR (Feb 2006), staying at the RIU Palace Macao in Punta Cana. I've found this to be a great Forum...very informative. What's up with this illness issue? I've read a bit about it on this forum and read the post from Jamaicanmecrazy. Whatever it was, was it just Puerta Plata? Did it make it's way to other areas (Punta Cana)? Given that this is our first trip to the DR, this seems a little spooky.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata