We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanks thomson for

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
thanks thomson for

ruining my holiday, never again will i book or fly with this company .Due to work we could only fly over for a week ( not enought time ) we had a hour delay which was fine but the trouble did not start untill we tried to land at POP ( on time ) the pilot announced that he had missed the run way (15.30 ) local time so was going to try again after going round for a good half hour we suddenly took of to another airport Santo Domingo which took about 20mins we landed and was then stuck on the runway for the 5 hours being told to stay in our seats they would up date us in 10 mins first they said they was waiting for a pin to bring the plane in then they was going to refuel and fly back , we was offered warm water over the next 5 hours no food so was unable to take 2 lots of antibiotics but as the toilets on the plane 300 people broke down 1 by 1 we was to scared to drink the water we was left with 1 toilet for 300 people, about 8pm that evening we was told we would be put up in hotels and fly to POP the next day by 9pm we was then told we would go by coach which would take 5 hours every one was hungry , thirsty but we was told once we had passed through customs head for the coaches no time to stop and eat, no reps to tell us where to go what to do etc it was another 2 hours befor we got out of the airport onto a coach and sat there for another hour befor the coach would leave , got to the hotel Bluebay ( i will do a seperate review on this ) at 4am tired hungry thirsty had booked a room for three people with balcony got to the room 1 bed no balcony back to reception the hotel had only received the original booking not the updated one which had been changed 12 weeks befor. After looking at 3 rooms no balcony we just took a room with 2 beds that slept 3 it was 5am befor we finaly got to bed and of course ended up sleeping most of thet day so we again lost another day. What i am very angry with that no information on the plane was given except to say we will update you in 10 minutes after 5 hours no -one still knew what was going on the staff on plan very unhelpful and i was at one stage called to the back of the plane to be told of basically to sit down and be patient will after being stuck on that runway for 5 hours and no information my patience had def run out

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
essex
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thanks thomson for

starfruitmt,

what a nightmare !! we are flying out to POP on the 9th August with thomson im dreading it now !! I hope you will be making a formal complaint to them. Did the reps in resport help you in any way ?

Nikki

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thanks thomson for

starfruitmt,

Was there bad weather then that the pilot missed the runway, I cant understand why they flew you to Santo Domingo and could not touch down in POP unless of course there were weather related problems.

Angie.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thanks thomson for

We had friends on that flight. We ended up picking them up at the POP ariport at 3:20am. It seems that the pilot called off the landing because of weather and chose to fly to SD instead. I have it from a VERY reliable source that the airport was open and the flight before this one and the one after both landed wiht no problems. In fact when our friends called from the plane while waiting in SD to take off the weather here was fine with a beautiful sunset. I also heard that the crew likes laying over in SD rather then here in PP so they allowed the 14 hour rule to expire and could not longer fly after waiting on the runway in SD for 3+ hours. As the poster already said the flight to POP is about 20-30 min. Plenty of time to fly back here in good weather. It sound like someone (crew) wanted to be in SD.

A very shoddy showing for Thompson.

BObK

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thanks thomson for

Well Bob thanks for that info in that case the crew should be pulled across the coals.....I think that is disgusting treatment of passengers. I would if I was starfruitmt go straight the top of Thomson.That crew has bought the the company name into disrepute.

@ starfruitmt ........what are doing about this situation now getting back home...have you collected names etc of your fellow passengers to get this sorted out, numbers count when complaints are forwarded to the company or even the papers.

Shall be interested on your outcome.

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanks thomson for

starfruitmt,

Just thought I would send you this link if you wished to take your complaint to Management.

…thomson.co.uk/category/seniormanagement/

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thanks thomson for

starfruitmt,

Or otherwise you have this link for complaints to Thomson Airways but make sure you send everything by registered mail and keep a copy of all correspondence...........hope this of help.

thomson.co.uk/editorial/…complaints.html

Angie.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanks thomson for

thanks Bobk your right i had someone sitting next to me who lived in the DR while we was on the plane he phone a relative who works at the airport he said that although there had been some rain a plane had flown in befor us and a American Airline plane just after and i did here the air stewards say that they was no-longer able to fly because of company rules of 14 hours but we could have refulled and flown back i just dont understand why they left us sitting on the plane

Angelina52 i will definately be taking this further thanks for the email addresses will keep you all updated

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thanks thomson for

nikki please dont let my experiance worry you im sure that it does not happen often have a wounderful time you will have fun x

England
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: thanks thomson for

It doesn't just happen with Thomson, as my husband flew with Thomas Cook last year from LGW and he had the same problem.

Again, it was adverse weather conditions, but they couldnt land at POP nor Santiago, so were diverted to Punta Can aand then to Santo Domingo where they finally landed to be refuelled.

They too, finally landed in POP at around 3am as they weren't allowed to get off the plane at Santo Domingo as they were only cleared to refuel.

Unfortunately these incidents do happen, but fortunately are very rare.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thanks thomson for

I would say to the poster that worried about their holiday don't. What happened was very rare and it happens at every holiday company at some time. This was very poor from Thomsons and the poster should certainly br receiving some form of compensation however overall Thomson do receive good ratings and while I understand the poster stating they will never travel with them again they are actually about the best company at their price range.