We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rate

Winnipeg
11 posts
Save Topic
exchange rate

Heard a few different things regarding exchanging canadian money for pesos. Would it be better to exchange the money here for pesos, or should I bring US dollars and exchange the money in the DR. If so where would I get the best rate and what is the going exchange rate over there?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange rate

Usually cheaper to use an ATM. The charge is the same as a Bureau but you will get the correct rate. The bureaus do alter the rate in their favour.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange rate

bring US dollars and change to pesos there ,you will get a better exchange, not sure what it is right now.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange rate

We bring US for tipping, and booking tours and keep a little extra. I always put away the 20 US departure fee before we even leave Canada. I use the ATM ( I find it has the best exchange rate.)It gives pesos.So don't take out too much. We do not have service fees for using an international ATM but check with your bank. I change to Pesos as needed there. AFAIK I don't think you can exchange for pesos here in Canada. You can't control the exchange rates but do look around and find the best one.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange rate

Hi sunseekers2, the best for you would be to exchange U.S. $ for peso down there (not at the hotel as their rate would be lower than a cambio). Yes you can buy pesos in Canada at a foreign money exchange but the rate is very low because they have to take their cut as they are in the business of making money. They have them all over the place in Canada usually in the big malls or usually in your downtown area. Have a great trip and for me 29 days and counting.

Ron

Winnipeg
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: exchange rate

Thanks for all your help. We will be staying at the Gran Ventana in playa dorada. Does anyone know if there is an ATM near by.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exchange rate

yes there are several atm at the plaza just down the street from ventana, dont get discouraged if one doesnt work... out of them all you should find one that will work for you, chow brenda

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exchange rate

The ATM seems to be the way to go. Anyone know if there is one in or around the Iberostar Costa Dorada?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: exchange rate

Remember that if you take your Us$'s to a Banco, before you leave your resort, find out from the tour guide what the exchange rate is and then barter with the Banco for what it's worth.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: exchange rate

Always best to check the rates for the banco exchange so you know what you are getting in to.

There is a bank in the plaza Dorada, which is a 20 minute walk up the beach or a five dollar us cab ride from the iberostar. The plaza is also a good place to buy cheaper pool toys/sunscreen/pepto bismol and rum/cigarettes than at the hotel.

What I would suggest is to take US dollars with you and barter. I didn't buy any pesos down there, i used my visa card in the plaza and had no problems. The plaza is also a cheper place to call home, they have phone kiosks and you pay much less that at the hotel.

Remember the tours are cheaper on the beach and you can barter with those guys, the in hotel reps have no price flexibility.

I would suggest you bring about $50 in US one's for tipping, and look at what you plan to buy down there, and bring cash accordingly. I brought about $300 US with me and kept it in the in room safe with no problems.