We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic or Cuba???

near Windsor...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dominican Republic or Cuba???

We are looking to go away this winter. We usually travel to Dominican Republic, but we have friends that are interested in Cuba.

We had a bad experience in Cayo Coco years ago, but are willing to give Cuba a chance again.

Any suggestions?

halifax
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

great question......we have been to Cuba 10 times. DR prob 4 or 5. When we first started to travel we went to Cuba and the DR the next year.......at that time we were sure DR had the BEST food. Now a days I m not so sure :) If you do go to Cuba IMHO one of the best areas to consider is Holquin, the shoreline is to die for! and any kind of resort you like from 3 to 5 star. Cayo Ge- ar - mo lol.is how it sounds, I can t spell it . but it s 30 or so Klms past cayo coca..........QUIET and peaceful and uninhibited. Enjoy!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

Halifax69 is correct. If you go to Cuba go to Holguin. I've been there 6 times; 5 trips to Brisas Guardalavaca and 1 trip to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares(which by the way has the most beautiful beach I've ever seen). The beach in Guardalavaca was nice as well but not as nice as at Sol. We've also stayed in Cayo Guillermo at the Iberostar which was nice as well but I still prefer Holguin. I do however think that the food is better in The Dominican Republic but we've been there so many times now I think I'm wanting to go back to Cuba. Having said that we are already booked for Be Live Carey (Puerto Plata) in February, but just giving my opinion. Take a look at Playa Pasquero; when we do go back to Cuba, that's one of the resorts I've been looking at...... Good luck with your decision. Happy trails.

North Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

Been to Dominican and also Holguin area, Cayo Coco area, and Varadero in Cuba. My preference is Varadero....hands down. The beach there is beyond compare, there are many resorts, from simple 3 star, to grand 5 star....food is better in D.R. simply because there is more variety, but I have never lost any weight while in Cuba ! Also I find it easier to wander around in Cuba without being pestered to buy things I don't want, and approached by beggars.I find that a major problem in D.R. Wherever you decide, Have fun !!!

Niagara Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

I have also been to both places quite a few times, just got back from the Iberostar Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata a few days ago, it was a return trip, and it was as good as ever. Food is very good there. If I was going to Cuba, it would be the Royal Hideway Enc. its one of the best I've stayed at in Cuba, you land at Santa Clara airport, it is a 90 min. ride across a causeway to the resort , but its a great place, beautifully kept & good service. Its a 5 star resort, and one of the best I've stayed at. Went back to the DR this time, just because we hadn't been for 5-6 years, & the Iberostar POP, was as good as ever. Its a toss up for us, we love them both.

Chelem, Mexico
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

Hi,

Of course if you are comparing beaches then Punta Cana has an awesome beach that will compare favorably to most.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 06:18
yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

Been to Cuba and it was fantastic, hotel, food and people great. Trying Dominican for the first time this Christmas and have been told that if you like Cuba you will like Dom Rep and Vice Versa. We stayed in Holguin area beach was like somthing out of a film beautiful, only problem was sand fleas that took a fancy to me.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

I did enjoy cuba,i went 2 years ago the begining of february my only problem i found it cold at night and found the sea very cold i was there for 3 weeks and had to wear a jumper every night,yet in d/r found it warm every night at the same time of year,i still enjoyed cuba maybe i was unlucky with weather.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

We are booked for Puerto Plata at the beginning of February and Punta Cana at the end of March, but will be in Cayo Ensenachos in 2012. We've been to the DR once and Cuba twice and loved both places. We were in Varadero and Hoguin and enjoyed both resorts. The only problem is that we were at Playa Pesquero and found the resort to be too big and way too many kids. However the beach was awesome and the food well what can I say I gained 5 pounds. Excellent food at Playa Pesquero.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
792 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

I have been to both countries many times and i like the DR in Dec, Jan, Feb. as the weather is much warmer and more predictable.

I love Cuba in April as it seems to be perfect weather at that time of the year and the price is very reasonable.

No complaints with either country though.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba???

Yorkshireblonde: "have been told that if you like Cuba you will like Dom Rep and Vice Versa."

I wouldn't argue with that. The only thing I would add to the thread is that I strongly recommend to anyone visiting Cuba that they book a few days in Havana. Havana is a stunning city and is wonderful to walk around, quite unlike any other city I've ever visited.

I prefer DR, but it is a close run thing

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata