We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata beaches

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puerto Plata beaches

I've been to the Riu Palace and the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana. This year I was thinking of trying Puerto Plata. The pictures I have seen look like the water is not the same color (aqua blue) and the sand not as white. We would probably go to an Iberostar or a Riu. I'm afraid I will be disappointed if the water isn't as pretty. The water in Punta Cana was stunning to me. What do you think?

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

Remember this is the Atlantic coast. But the beach is still beautiful and the water quite clear. I had no problem snorkelling up to around 300m from the beach.

I've some pics of the beach in my review at Hotetur Dorado Club resort if that helps.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

some days the water isnt as blue (aqua) as other days, and the sand on alot of the beaches is more beige. Sosua Beach is a little more picturesque, but personally the colour of the sand underneath me and the colour of the water has never made or break a holiday, chow brenda

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

you will be disapointed with the beaches if you loved P.C. that much. If you do go, and you are a beach person the iberostar is a great resort but the beach has ALOT of seaweed. The marien is rated # 1 right now and i just came back from there and you would like it there. It is FANTASTIC and the beach gets cleaned up several times daily or i would go to the riu's. It is still a nice place to go but if you go for 90% beach then go back to P.C.

Montreal
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

It's definitly not a beach destination...

Minnesota
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

Hi - We are big RIU fans and plan to go to Riu Merengue for the 7th time in Feb.

We love the beaches there. We tried the RIU in Cancun last February and it was no comparison to the RIU in POP.

However, we have heard the beaches in Punta Cana are better, we've just not been there to compare....good luck! :)

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

We have been to Puerta Plata as well as Punta Cana, Puerta Plata beaches are like hear at home eastern Canada, we were very diappointed.

Punta Cana would be my choice.

Happy travels!

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

Thanks for everyones advice. We have also stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and the Iberostar Del Mar in Riviera Maya which I was happy with. I thought the water in Cancun was also similar. I guess what scared me was pictures I had seen online of the Iberostar Bachata beach (which I am very interested in the resort and the mountains would be cool because there are none in Punta Cana). The water just looked like the water in Daytona Beach which we have probably been to 10 to 15 times and that is not what I want. Also does anyone know what the foilage is like at the Bachata? The trees looked a little thin in the pictures I saw, but I think they were maybe taken right after it opened. I like lots of trees and greenery and was wondering if the adjoining Iberostars might be better but the Bachata is rated higher and I would get a better price with a child.

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

Sorry, I meant to say Riu Bachata not Iberostar.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata beaches

The sand is a bit darker at the Riu's and when we were there the water was not calm at all. There were either small waves which is great or it was too rough to go in. Little ones couldn't go in very far as the sand drops off fairly close to shore. It was the shallowest in front of the Merengue. There are lots of trees for shade. Don't expect it to look like PC beaches but you'll still get lots of sun and warm water unless you go in the rainy season.