We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

I apologize if this has already been asked, I scanned through the forum and didn't see anything recent! A lot of the complaints I've been reading about this property are in regards to difficulty getting reservations at a la cartes and chaos during the check in process. Do the upgrades with the Transat prestige class alleviate some of those issues? We paid $527 taxes in departing next Saturday so I'm really setting my expectations quite low; I've spent the last 11 yrs travelling to Cuba so I'm not going with the Jamaica/Mayan Riviera 5* mindset, just hoping it's not going to be a week from you know where! Any advice/tips etc is appreciated. Thanks!

ct
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

I have been to Barcelo many many times. The first time it was called Occidental. We have NEVER had a problem with getting reservations. Perhaps it was booked on one night so we took the next but we always got in. As for check in, a few times it was about 30 minutes or so but not longer than that. If our room wasn't ready, we we able to get a drink at the bar and wait. Nothing wrong with that. You should have a wonderful time there. We will be going back again this year.

Sudbury
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Have been to the Barcelo twice - one being at New Years two years ago. Didn't have a problem getting an a la carte on the eve either. Staff is wonderful and the shows too. Travelled once with 3 teenagers and they had a blast - disco was very nice (on the beach). You will have a great time!!! Enjoy

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Great, thank you! We paid the extra $30 for the prestige class just in case, if it was just the 2 of us we'd take a chance but we bullied 2 other couples into coming with us and from my various adventures across Cuba I know first hand that when the food situation is a disaster so is the rest of the holiday! I feel much better hearing good things. Looking forward to it!

skiess
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

We are going to the Barcelo staying in the Club Premium area on the 23rd of January for two weeks. Let me know how you make out! Have a great trip!

collingwood, ont,
Level Contributor
484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Keep in mind, that Prestige class , and Club Premium are very different. With Air Transat Prestige class, you still have to make resos everyday for a la carte dinners. That does mean getting in a line every morning to make them, sometimes they will allow two bookings at a time. Check In has a seperate counter, around the corner from main check in, where you get your braclets, but, you still then, have to line up at main check in for room key.

The Premium Club has way better perks, and worth the extra. Private check in at the Club Premium reception. When you arrive , just tell the bell hop there, that you are Club premium, and he will take you away in the golf cart to check in. As for dinners with Club Premium, you can book at any time during the day, just ask the receptionist there, and she will book it for you. And there is no limit , you can have a la cartes every night. Just try and do it in the morning, as they do fill up, and you may not get your choice of restaurant, or the time you want.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Thanks for the info! My hotel voucher specifies that we're guaranteed 5 a la carte reservations but we have to make them for the whole week within 24hrs of checking in, I'm hoping that's the case! If not I better find out who the "morning person" is in our group!! The Prestige was a little over $300 extra per person and brought the trip cost up to some 5* we were looking at in Jamaica and Aruba so I couldn't justify the spend, I may look into the upgrade once we arrive on the chance that's its cheaper. Thanks again!!

collingwood, ont,
Level Contributor
484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

I saw the deal you were able to book, awww if only I could book off work, I would of nabbed that up as well. I have only done Club Premium for the last couple of years, so cannot be 100% sure about the booking of a la cartes for Prestige. But before that, it was, as stated above in previous post, and not booking all 5 at once. If its that way now, so much better for you. You will have a great time regardless.........

Edited: 05 January 2011, 15:12
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

It was an amazing deal, I couldn't believe it! Too hard to pass up. We're very easy going so if they won't book them for us all at once it's ok, I always get nervous when I convince other couples to travel with us to resorts I've never been to! We had $200 in vouchers as well so it ended up being even cheaper for us. Do you happen to know how far it actually is into Sosua? I know sometimes the distance quoted in travel brochures isn't quite accurate. We have a group of friends who live in Sosua but if it's a major distance we won't bother telling them we're coming!! Thanks again!

collingwood, ont,
Level Contributor
484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

Its about 20-30 min drive, not far at all , and worth the trip for visiting friends, or just a day out.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 19:06
Ontario Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Puerto Plata & Transat "Prestige"

We are heading to Barcelo next weekend and are very excited. We booked prestige class through Air Transat as well. Stupid question, is there coffee makers in the rooms? We like our morning coffee on the balcony. What are good gifts to take for the cleaning staff?