We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few little questions!!!

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon England
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Just a few little questions!!!

Hello good people of the PP Forum, we are thinking of coming to PP in August and staying at the Gran Ventana. We've never been so just a couple of quickies about the DR if you would be so kind!

What is the local currency and rough exchange rate for the GBP? (some equivelant costs for beer/water etc would be really helpful)

What is the time difference and how long is the flight from UK?

Are the locals welcoming?

Glad to see the reports on the resort are quite good so no qualms about going there!

Thanks a mill if you take the time to reply!!

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few little questions!!!

£1 buys you 60pesos. You can't buy pesos in UK. Take USDs and use ATM's.

Difference is 4hr+. Flight is 9.5hrs. Be carefull who you book through, some flights can be like herding cattle.

Locals are welcoming.

Most weather websites will give you an idea on weather.

Hope that helps.

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few little questions!!!

iwhite,

Grand Ventana is on the Playa Doradas Complex (around a dozen hotels within this area)- there is a shopping Plaza near this hotel (I think it is over the road) - there are ATM's, a bank, several places to exchange currency there (Dollars into Pesos etc..), a few bars, cafe, gift shops, a general store, a cinema etc..

I did take some pesos with me from the UK - I bought mine at Thomas Cooks, My tip here is for you to take plenty of the smaller dollar notes ($1 and $5 ) with you for tipping etc..

at the bar, maids, waiters etc.. - smaller dollar notes are harder to come by in DR.

I think most high street Travel Agents will be able to sell you DR pesos - if they are out of stock they will order them usually like the post offices will do.

(sorry cheshire - not contradicting you but I know often the DR pesos may need to be ordered in at TA's money only took a day to arrive I ordered by telephone at my local branch)

Hope that helps - Liz :0)

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few little questions!!!

No it's OK Lizzy. I went to two places, Barclays and the Post Office. I didn't realise they could be ordered. Which reminds me, I need to think about ordering myself some Japanese Yen for my next trip!

If you can get Pesos commission free, then do so. If dollars then not too much. It's cheaper to use the ATM. Commission is the same as a bureau but the rate will exact and not loaded in favour of the bureau, which are Tour Operators and shops in the Plaza.

London, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few little questions!!!

This year I am just taking some Pesos to get us going for a couple of days (from Thomas Cook, since Lloyds TSB didn't even know that DR has its own currency), a bundle of small denomination $US notes (1's and 5's for tips etc), again from Thomas Cook, since the bank were only willing to give us about 5 x 1's and 2 x 5's when we got them last year. Also enough $US notes to get us in and out of the country ($US10 per person to get in and $US20 pp to get out). Then the rest I am taking in Sterling travellers cheques (from the bank). The exchange places in the hotels etc take these and no matter what currency travellers cheques you take, they will only be exchanged into Pesos. So why lose out on exchange rate in the UK to convert Sterling to US then US to Pesos when in DR?

Any trips booked on site through your travel rep can be paid for by credit card if necessary.

BE WARNED. When you get money from a travel agents, if you pay by credit or debit card, the bank will charge you commission at 1 or 2% of the transaction. You can pay them in cash.

Also, places like Thomas Cook advertise 0% commission, but this is only on cash, travellers cheques are at 1 or 2% which is why I'm getting mine from the bank.

Confused? Don't be. Go and chill. All the beers, drinks, water, food etc. in the complexes should be at the best exchange rate of all. Gratis.

Calgary
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few little questions!!!

We enjoyed the Gran Ventana last April, going to the Breezes with April. We had an awesome time there, staff were excellant. I took a bunch of $1.US for tipping the housekeeper and the fellow that restocked our fridge. Take a look at this web site to give you an idea of the conversion rate. www.oanda.com/concert/cheatsheet

I printed this out so I know what I was purchasing was in line with the amount I would approx. pay at home. We walked to the plaza from the Gran and there is a place to exchange your money there. The resort will charge you a higher rate. Remember, if you pay in say US dollars, you'll get pesos back. Hope you have a great time.