We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

We will be staying at the GB San Juan in March. I understand that the beach is not that great. We love to snorkle!

I have read several posts on here about people taking a taxi to Playa Grande and Playa Caleton beaches. Is it safe to do so? Are there resorts close by or is it very isolated? It's my first time in the DR. I don't want to end up as fish bait!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

No resorts close by, and yes, they are isolated but they are very safe. Hire a cab for day to take you and wait for you. It's worth the trip; beautiful beaches. Playa Grande is huge while Caleton is a small bay with very calm crystal clear waters. You can snorkel in Caleton but you may have a better snorkeling in Sosua.

Silvia

Edmonton
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

Playa Grande is a great beach if you like to boogie board or play in the surf but it's got pretty good waves so snorkling there is not really an option.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

As Silvia said if you are going to go hire a cab for the day. Head to Playa grande first and play in the surf. Sometimes the waves can be pretty good and again not a great snorkeling area.

Then head over to Caleton (one of our favoirte beaches) usually with clear flat water and some good snorkeling. See Danny (beach guy) and he will set you up with beach chairs. Enjoy the water and at lunch time he will bring you lots of local fish to choose from and then prepare it for you with a table set up beach side. You can also do the same thing for lunch at Playa Grande.

Much closer to you is Sosua and the bay there is also very calm with some very good snorkeling. In fact it is one of he stops on the catamaran trips. It is also our favoirte local beach and if i can get my work done this morning i will be enjoying it this afternoon. The reef is about a 50-75 meter swim from the beach. This beach is also lined with shops, restaurants and bars and your "beach guy" will bring your drinks and food to your beach chairs.

Enjoy

florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

1 thing to remember once you hire the cab for the day do not pay him until you get back to your hotel. Barter on the price but once agreed upon the only wya to ensure you get back to your hotel is to pay him at the end. Last year i did a couple of cab rides and all was fine. Have fun

5. Re: Taxi to Playa Grande, Playa Caleton beaches, safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 06:17