We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and Cholera

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Malaria and Cholera

I know that none of you are Doctors but do most people take medication to prevent Malaria and now Cholera when traveling to the DR?

Thanks

Rebecca

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria and Cholera

Hi Rebecca,

I went to see my doctor last week ready for my trip to DR and they gave me boosters on the normal jabs and advised me to take Malaria tablets as well. Cholera wasn't necessary if you were staying on a proper resort but your doctor may advise differently so it's worth just giving them a ring. If it helps the UK has the website which our doctor referred to as well;

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx

T

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria and Cholera

We take Dukoral which covers Cholera and nothing for Malaria.According to locals that frequent this forum It sounds like Things in the D.R are good,Cholera is under control and No outbreaks in Malaria in a long time. More people die from falling coconuts.

halifax
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria and Cholera

wow..............I didn t know about the coconuts, wonder if I can change to Cuba ??

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria and Cholera

Number of malaria cases reported on the north coast in the last 7-10 years is exactly ZERO.

Number of cholera cases in the north coast since the outbreak in Haiti is exactly ZERO.

None of us that live here take meds or either.

BObK

Sutton, Surrey
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria and Cholera

I totally agree with Tinkerbell42. My family and I are travelling to DR on Monday and all we required were the booster jabs and malaria tabs (1 for the next 5 weeks) but nothing for Cholera

Have a great time

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria and Cholera

What is the recommended falling coconut vaccine?

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria and Cholera

Ricochet,I'm going Saturday, I will try the 6 Presidente(or 7) per day vaccine! Let you know if it works...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria and Cholera

Is this something new? I know many people, including elderly and children, who visit DR regularly and have never heard of anyone taking medication for it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria and Cholera

JMHPelham,

Too bad, I am going Friday. By Saturday there wil likely be no coconut medication left for you.

halifax
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria and Cholera

LMAO......I believe a bottle or 2 of Brugal will do as a fine replacement should the beer run low!! Feb 21 can t get here soon enough for me I'd take a coconut or 2 in the head to go tomorrow :)