We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! i need to make phone calls

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
help! i need to make phone calls

I have a question? ... How do I go about making phone calls to family members that live in DR while I'm at my resort in Playa Dorada? .....I have read here on TA about people receiving a large phone bill from the resort during check out for using the phone in the room. I will also be making a few phone calls back home to the U.S, I understand that calling the U.S will now be international but here in the U.S they sell international calling card that I could use in DR........thanks alot?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
69 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

Hi chillout89...

I have the same question, my cell phone carrier is way too expensive and we need to call family to check on pets. Hoping that I wont have a huge bill at the end of my trip. I also heard that they have phones for rent at the airport. I am still looking into that possiblity and if I find out anything of value I will let you know.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

ude a prepaid phone card, it is not very expensive but you have to pay the hotel to activate it, but it is still worth it because you now in advance what you pay for it.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,040 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

I would definately go the international calling card route as otherwise you will get a nasty shock when you get home using your cell phone, if you are taking your laptop you can always use Skype for video calling which will be free to you.

Angie.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

As Angie says... as always! :-)

You can also use Skype Out to call landlines. The quality is pretty good. Also, if you have a 'smart phone', you can get Skype on it rather than bringing a laptop.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

As the previous poster said, Skype is a great idea. I always bring my netbook, and use Google talk. All calls to US and Canada are free if u can get on-line. If the hotel doesn't cooperate, or it's too expensive, I read here that some restaurants in the Playa Dorada plaza have free WiFi, or the golf course will let u log on for the cost of a drink. I was unpleasantly surprised at The Victoria, where my partner racked up a $300US phone bill through the hotels system..not a pleasant check out at all!

6. Re: help! i need to make phone calls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata