We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

karen_uk

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
karen_uk

hi karen

I'm in the same position as you i am taking my 5 year old daughter to the ruis, allocation on arrival. I go the day you arrive back 7th march, if they is any chance you can get on the internet while you are away and post a update it would be much appriciated. I'm just having a load of sleepless nights at the momment worrying myself to death. My daughter is reallly anti doctors i had to pin her down for her injections, and cant get her to take any medicine only calpol, i'm totally fed up and i was so excited about going here as my mum and aunt have been many times. If they is any chance you can get on it would be most helpful hopefully it should have cleared and we will have a great time fingers crossed.

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: karen_uk

Hi Ruth,

I have to say you aren't alone in your sleepless nights and I have been so worried about this since I first read it. My 4 year old is the same and hates doctors etc due to a bad year of illness where we spent many weeks in hospital. This holiday is a treat for both of us after such a bad year.

At the moment I just dont know what to do, am leaving any decision now until end of next week. Then will see what is going on, recent reports etc, but it still gives me chance to change.

I will be hoping to get online at some point as I will be emailing home rather than sending postcards....so if I can I will of course pop on and post....

If anything comes out in the meantime I will of course update you.

Best Wishes

Karen

London UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: karen_uk

Hi, Karen/yorkieruth

We are due to travel 13th Feb with two children and a baby, will also try and post. There is an internet room in the Caribean Street between the Merengue and Bachata Hotels.

Prior to this "virus" outbreak we've been looking forward to this trip. Lasted visited in May 04 and was more than happy to return based on what is was like then. Surely the resort can't have changed that much?

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: karen_uk

Coconut

The internet room on the street has been closed and it moved directly behind the front desk at the Bachata. Just so you are not left looking for it like we were.

england
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: karen_uk

thankyou for your responses good luck with your hols i hope everything goes ok for you both, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed at the minute and having a lot of hope

all the best

ruth

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: karen_uk

To:CoconutPalm

Yes this resort change alot I was there in 2003 and it was great

but this year this place is a dump, if go you will get ill.

From my observation the staff has been cut by 50%, and the

cannot keep up with this amount of people. Therefore the food

is inproperly prepared and that is why everybody is getting ill.

Everybody is talking about some kind of virus, but i do not believe, it is they way the food is undercooked, .

If this would be a virus ather hotels would have same problem.

This problem is going on since at least beginning of Dec, 2004,

bacuse I was there and me and my wife and most of the guests

got ill. This place is so unsanitary, that if this would be in U.S.

it would be close down long time ago. And from I read the problem is still there.Would not go if the would pay me.

Good Luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: karen_uk

Karen,

Just copied this from another chain and thought you might like to read it.

This was posted by TravellingAsh today on another chain....

To all: I said that I would let everyone know how a friends parents faired at the Bachata this past week (Jan. 14-21). They have returned home in fine health - and all three Riu resorts in PP apprear to be bug free - as far as they could see. Whatever Riu is doing, it has hopefully worked.

Good luck to whoever travels there in the near future and also best of luck to those who did fall ill - I hope you are all able to stick it to those whos job it was to keep you well informed before you traveled!

uk newcastle
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: karen_uk

Well thats the best news I have heard on here for the last two weeks.Could do with a little more like that before I leave for the Riu Mambo 31/01/05

England
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: karen_uk

I returned from the Mambo last week. Yes I was ill, but was sensible enough to get my partner down to the chemist the day I started the illness. He came back armed with antibiotics, antisickness pills and anti-trot pills!! I dosed myself up, took the pills exactly when was told to and by the next morning was fine. Its not the food, if so my partner would have been ill too as we ate the same. Whilst I was there a Canadian party arrived with a child that was ill before they got there and the child was hospitalised moreorless straight away. They brought a virus over with them, which spread like wild fire. Im sick of reading negative reports about the Mambo, its lovely, the food is lovely, the staff are excellent and the cleanliness is faultfree. If you're going there soon, dont worry, the only thing that ruined our holiday was 2 single beds pushed together instead of a double!!! I'd go back tomorrow if I could, but with my own bed!!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: karen_uk

You should have also brought on your holiday a doctor and a nurse. In U.S. if you go on holiday we brink Tylenol and Pepto

not whole bunch of drugs, if this is your idea of holiday you

must be missing something in your head.

uk newcastle
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: karen_uk

Nothing missing in my head I am just trying to get a hotel change but am haveing no luck at all, I have done everything possible.I think you want to shake your head