We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

nj
Level Contributor
736 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

I was curious what would be a better idea. Trying to get a taxi for a half day to take me to the city of puerto plata and to the places id like to see there? Or join a City tour? There will be 2 of us so i was curious which would be best which would be cheaper?

Isaira Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours
Diwa Dominicana
Sightseeing Tours
Runners Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

hi, i would definitely recommend hiring a taxi/private guide, especially if there are certain specific places that you would like to visit. it gives you the flexibility to spend the time where YOU want and see what YOU want, rather than be on the tours timetable. it is also less expensive.

we did the same thing in February and we were so happy we did it that way.

if you are interested i can give you the contact info for the driver and english guide we hired. he took 6 of us in an air conditioned van for 4.5 hours for $50 plus tip. he stayed with us the whole time and was a great source of information.

you can also easily find taxis on your own to hire without guide.

Jo

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,968 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

I second hiring a cab for a day or half day. Some places you may want to visit:

Brugal rum factory

fort

Indepence Plaza (main square) with lots of shops around

Amber museum

Cable car

Hatian village which is a great place to buy art, carvings an such at much better prices.

Market area with lots of shops and an open air "flea market"

la Sirena a large wal-mart type store with some of the best prices you will find on rum and coffee.

Enjoy

BObK

Edited: 29 April 2011, 11:42
Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

The first time we visited Puerto Plata we spent some time chatting with a waitress who was obviously proud of her city. we then asked her if she would mind showing us around, so on her day off we had our own personal tour guide. We did a similar thing in Havana. This is a great way to see a place and have it described 'with enthusiasm'. It also meant that she wasn't on commission at any tourist shops so no incentive to take us to 'specific' places. There were four of us and we clubbed together to buy her a piece of jewellery and give her 'a tip' because we'd not actually agreed any payment. I Havana our guide was actually embarrassed when I said we wanted to give her some money, she genuinely had agreed to do it out of a love for her city. We agreed to her giving me her handbag for a moment so I could leave 'something' in it rather than giving money to her.

Ontario
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

I would go with what Salsajo said - if you can get a guide for 6 hours for $50 that's a great deal!

nj
Level Contributor
736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

There is just 2 of us. Wont I have to pay an entrance fee to things on top of the taxi fee? ie Mount Isabel?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,968 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

In the list I gave you only fee is for the cable ( I think about $10) and the Fort (just a couple of dollars) so no big deal.

BObK

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

Bob...can you tell me where these two are:

-Hatian village which is a great place to buy art, carvings an such at much better prices.

-Market area with lots of shops and an open air "flea market"

We already did the cable car last month and next trip in november we'd like to hire a car to take us to Sosua for the day and am very interested in those 2 also. Thanks!

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

Cable car is so worth the $10.00, view and cool air is wonderful, even the magician that sometimes will stand with you as u wait for the car is a hoot. Usually the taxi guide will then take us downtown for a little shopping, always enjoyed it. As to the Rum tour, other than getting a good price for rum to take home, it really is just a bottling plant where the workers wait for the cute tourists to walk the catwalk for them.

Spend time with a guide on a few of the back streets of Puerto Plata, see the square and beautiful church.

Wherever you decide to go, have a great holiday in the DR.

Pura Vida

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

IMO Puerto Plata can be done without the services of a guide. The town is relatively small but does have some interesting late 19th/early 20th century architecture. Try and visit "The Meeting Place" - google "The Meeting Place: Puerto Plata" on Calle Juan Bosch. They have an interesting exhibition on the development of the city - and can point out the key places to visit.. In the late 19th century Puerto Plata was a cosmopolitan port and a key commercial centre. The market is also worth seeing (to the north of the main square.

If you have the time worth taking the Caribe Tour bus to Santiago. The centre is very pleasant + a huge market.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata on my own or Puerto Plata city tour?

i was so happy we did have a guide as we had two encounters with two different beggars that would NOT leave us alone and had it not been for our guide, i am not sure what we would have done. one was a woman at the town square who kept following my elderly father and grabbing at his bag quite aggressively. at this point our family was spread out wandering around the square, reading the plaques and taking pictures etc. our guide had met up with a friend and was chatting with him. we kept shooing the beggar away and she would not leave and she was so aggressive. our guide finally saw what was going on and RAN over as fast as he could yelling in spanish at her, swatting her hand away and paid her a coin and she finally left us alone.

i also think he gave us invaluable information we would not have known had we gone on our own.

to each his own though!

Jo