We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Mambo closing date

Scotland
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Mambo closing date

Hi all, I have been informed that the "official" closing date of the Mambo is 30th June 2011.

This is only meant to be for approx 3 months until the season picks up again. Makes sense to merge guests into 2 hotels rather than keep all 3 open they say (which is very true from a business point of view)

This info is pretty solid, I think guests may be offered a move anytime from the beginning of June onwards as they run ye services down. Guests are still arriving here now but some are being asked if they wish to go to 1 of the other two hotels, but not everyone.

Hope this clears things up a wee bit, I will of course still ask daily and report back with any other info as I get it.

Cheers

Stevie

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,653 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Thanks Stevie your a diamond for giving this information out to future guests.

I am sure it will be much appreciated.

Angie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Buenos noches all,

Final definitive answer at last ! ! !

The Mambo will take its last guests on the 15th June, it WILL close on the 30th June..

It will be closing until November mainly due to the occupancy but they are taking the opportunity to do a wee refurb what closed.

My advice to all would be, if you are gonna book the Mambo for later this year or next then do and do it soon. In my opinion as it is, it's a great place (despite what has happened to us) so when it's done up it's gonna be waaaay better than Bachatta and Merengue. (reviews already say this, before a refurb ! ! )

Hope this helps and either puts peoples minds at ease or at least give plenty notice to sort out other avenues.

Nitey nite !

Stevie

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Thanks for taking the time to find out these details - much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday,

Vinx

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Ha! I finally got a reply to my email to Thomson (from over a week ago) telling me that they hadn't been told of any closures and of course they're be the first to know so I should ignore anything I read on forums/reviews.

I pointed the lady in the direction of the RIU website where it now clearly says it'll be closed from June to October...

Really disappointed that for such a serious question (will my hotel be closed or closing around us?) they'd not even bothered to check beyond the notifications on their internal website. Not exactly what I'd call customer service!

So thanks again Stevie for keeping me up to date on the real situation - it's good to have a place like this to rely on when the travel agents seem clueless.

Vinx

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,653 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Vinx,

I am not at all surprised to read your posting about Thomson not knowing of any closures it seems that travel agents/tour operators whoever you book with are always the last to hear of any updates concerning resorts............at least being on this forum you get the breaking news first.

Angie.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Thanks again Stevie! I can't wait to go back in November and see what they have done to make the hotel better!

I had a very strange call from Thomson yesterday about my holiday booked for the Mambo in November, firstly I thought they were going to tell me that the hotel would be closed but think they were really just trying to sell me add ons to my holday, taxi transfer, extra luggage etc. I asked if she knew anything about mambo closure and she went away then came back and said no and I should contact them on a number she gave me if I wanted anymore details!

Jo

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Hi, I am currently having major problems due to the closure ot the Riu Mambo. I booked my weeding a year ago at this resort along with 20 other guests for August 20th 2011. I was not informed and doubt I would have been informed of the closure of the hotel and only found out about the closure via this message board, upon finding this I contacted Thomas Cook who had known about it for over a week but had not bothered to contact me and I doubt they would of. So far this has turned out to be a massive nightmare. We went to visit our travel agent who has been very good in sorting this out but it is doubtful if the wedding will go ahead.

We have managed to change to a different hotel (the Bahia Principe San Juan) but Thomas Cook wanted to pay nearly £2,000 to change everyone over to the new hotel. After a lot of hastle and 3 hours in the travel agents they finally agreed to change us for free of charge, this is where the problems started.

We were due to get married in the 2nd week of our holiday in the Mambo's grounds but as we have changed hotel Thomas Cook now need to try and arrange another minister to go to the hotel and are unsure if they have enough time to do this, hense we have 20 people flying out for a wedding which may not go ahead and we will not find out if the weddin is available for 3 more weeks.

If anyone has any advice or information for the Bahia Principe San Juan I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Sarah

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,653 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Sarah,

What I cannot understand why on earth Thomas Cook did'nt offer you the Bachata or Merengue as the resorts are on the same complex of 3 hotels............to offer you the Bahia which is totally another location on the north coast with a 90 minute transfer from the airport beggers to believe...............now putting your wedding into jeapardy.I would seriously have some strong questions being asked of Thomsas Cook if I was you.

Angie.

England, Essex
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

For those changing to one of the other Rius it may be worth noting that whenever I've looked the Mambo has cost more money to book than the Bachatta.

So if you're moved it may be worth asking for that to be refunded? Mambo was £30 more per person than Bachatta whenever I looked on Thomson

Broseley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Mambo closing date

Hi we are booked for the 22nd July and like you have not been able to get any sense out of thomson can you tell me what you have done we just want to know where we are staying.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give

Jo

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata