We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Is it best buy a snorkel set... have to say I have never done snorkeling before and really don't fancy it.. but think its something I must force myself to try as the area the Gran Ventana is in says its best for snorkeling and lots of the trips involve doing it.

Don't fancy using snorkel sets that have been used by thousands of people.

halifax
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

me either bought a set for $35.....I m not a great swimmer but you really don t need the fins in shallow water just get in the way. I wear a light life jacket and just "hover" around ........LOTS to see! You can release a little crunched banana or bread crumbs and get stormed!! it's fun you ll enjoy it.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

Mmmmmmm your like me Caoroline dont fancy using snorkel sets that others have used time and time again...........I would invest in getting your own set and take it with you, they dont weigh that much...........you can get some at a decent price too, you dont have to spend a vast amount of money on a set.

Angie.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Do they have the little life jackets there for "hovering" around? AI

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

You can get the life jackets at the sports hut if you wish to wear one and its in your all inclusive.

Angie.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
702 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

We bought our own last year, and well worth it !!!, the ones at the resort i guess would be ok but i think they are quite old, and like you say thousands of people will have used them, and like Angie says you can get the jackets at the hut. And if you have your own you can use them whenever you like

There are some really beautiful fish around there, amazing colours, hope you enjoy as much as we did, I enjoyed it that much you couldnt get me out the sea lol, and like Halifax said earlier get some bananas or bread when you have your breakfast, the fish will all come around you for the food, great experience

England, Essex
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

Hi,

going to the Gran Ventana on Monday :-)

bought two cheap snorkel sets off ebay (make was osprey) under £10 each, they seem to have pretty good reviews on the net so hopefully they'll do the job

Herts
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

I am also going to Gran Ventana in July. Learnt to snorkel last year in Taba in Egypt. It was a major event for me as I don't like water in my face in the shower! We bought snorkel sets in Argos before we went. Quite like the idea of a life jacket . Used one on a day trip snorkeling last year on burnt certain areas so don't forget the sun cream.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

I am off to Gran Ventana 2 July and I bought snorkel sets for myself and the kids off Ebay. Cannot remember what make they are but they look fantastic and are very sturdy. I did a deal with the seller and bought the three of them for £30. I think he was charging £12.99 for one.

I snorkelled in Sharm last year and absolutely loved it - thoroughly looking forward to snorkelling again this year. I am gonna get a little life vest for my son so that he can hover around :)

Suzy

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
702 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling

Oh yes, dont forget the sunscreen on your back if snorkelling, !!!! Its easy to forget that when you are swimming about :-)

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling

we will be going to Puerto Plata in sept. does anyone know where we can do snorkeling being we don't like tours we like to expolre on our own get away from that cattle herd kinda of feeling thanks in advance.