We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share your rental car driving experience

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Share your rental car driving experience

Anyone like to share your experience good or bad driving around the area and different towns??

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

I have rented over 200 times in the DR and try not to anymore. The best advice I can give folks is to not drive in the DR there are too many pitfalls. Taxis, buses and guaguas are plentiful.

Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

I rented a Toyota SUV for 2 weeks last May and didn't have a problem. I drove everywhere around Puerto Plata, and past Lifestyles/Ocean World to Maimon for fantastic fish. What I would have to pay taxis for multiple trips per day couldn't compare to the rate I got. You get the hang of the aggresive driving and how to use your horn (they honk for everything!) very quickly, and I never had a problem. I had a minor accident my last day in a parking lot (my door was rammed by another car backing out). One phone call to the rental guy, and he showed up within minutes and took care of everything. If anyone is interested in hearing more, please PM me. I'm going back in 3 weeks and will rent with the same place.

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

I have rented cars and owned cars in the D.R. and have never had a problem. I have driven basically the entire island from Samana to Luperon, POP to Santiago and Santo Dominigo. From Azua to Bavaro. I have driven in the mountains and in the tourist areas. Do I recommend it to others.? Seldom. Be there for a while before you do. Understanf that Dominicans look at driving as a sport. Driving in the D.R. is like being in a video game. Expect the unexpected. To this day I will not drive anywhere but in the city at night. Seems strange but I tend to take it for granted that all cars and trucks will have lights. Watch out for scams.

Take pictures of the car before you take it including a photo of the gas gauge and the mileage. Make sure that the person representing the rental agency is in a couple of the photos. Make sure you document any imperfection including cracked windshield etc. Doing this has saved me a lot of grief in the past, and a lot of money.

I will be in the D>R> on the 27th of July but fortunelatly I will not need to rent because we have a car there.

Have fun but be careful.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

GOOD feedback so far, as driving anyplace you need to be 110% aware. I ride a motorcycle vtx 1800 a big bike in doing so I have learned to have eyes not only in front but in the back of my head and the sides

( Quad vision) Some good advice pictures of car and rental person you gotta cover all bases.Sounds like driving is'nt for the timid maybe a little aggression and you can slide in.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

jahfelipe, thanks I will be in Puerto Plata and plan on seeing from there to Samana, El Limon and Santiago to Santo Dominigo maybe overnight in areas.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

this is an ambitious agenda, hope you have 2 weeks :) the best route from samana area to santiago is either through santo domingo or back towards puerta plata unless you have a sturdy 4wd rented and know some spanish. happy travels, ben

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

Seven days ben will do PP to Samana,El Limon and Las Terrans than back then next to Santo Domingo from PP to Santiago and south was thinking of a economy car to get some mileage being the $$ of gas thanks.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

vtxhemi, You will spend two of the seven days driving. I do not advise anyone to drive but if you do, take "full" insurance and do not repeat do not get into an accident. Avoid night driving and beware of weekend drunk drivers to/from the beaches.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

RV429 thanks I'm thinking of dropping the trip to SD and just doing the Samana and area. Looks like theres more for us to do in Samana, El Limon and LT. Do you have info as to the falls in Jarabacoa location eaze of acess we can't be idle vacation is for seeing the local cultures 75% of the time not sitting in AI drinking too boring. (just my opinion)

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Share your rental car driving experience

Jarabacoa is close enough to Santiago and easy to get to but is a long way from Samana that is if you are still going to Santiago, but with just a week to do all this you are packing 25 pounds of rice into a 5 pound bag.

Jarabacoa needs 2-3 days to explore and hang out at least. LT, El Limon and Samana could keep you busy a whole week easy.