We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets?

Liverpool, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets?

Is it really worth taking malaria tabets given the side effects and the cost when visiting dominican republic?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets?

You will get lots of different opinions on taking malaria tablets even though there has been no recorded cases of malaria on the north coast for many years, its best to get advice from your Dr/Practise Nurse..........but this is my take on it.

I take the advice of my GP also and buy the tablets called Avloclor which are not expensive from any pharmacy for a couple of pounds for the whole course.

My insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry. So I would look into your travel insurance.

I also keep up to date with Fit for Travel NHS website.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/d…

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,145 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets?

Find a doctor that does not reccomend them and then you will be covered by your insurance.

You have a better chance of being killed by a falling coconut then getting Malaria here on the north coast in the tourist areas.

I don't know anyone who lives here who takes them..

BObK

Edited: 15 August 2011, 21:13
Liverpool, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets?

Thank you so much for your replies - much appreciated. So many mixed reviews!!

Thanks again

Bury, Manchester
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets?

I've just come back on Sat from Dom Rep. Was advised by our Practice Nurse to take them and we did (and still are for the next 4 wks - only 2 tablets once a wk for adults and one tablet for children once a wek depending on age/weight). 6 of us went and none of us have had side-effects. We are taking Avloclor. My view is best to be safe than sorry. I work for a bunch of Consultants Neurologists and as there is a variable risk and we travelled with 2 young children, it was a no-brainer as far as we were concerned. I got bitten quite a lot by mosquitos, despite having veet, wristbands etc so doubly glad I am taking the anti-malarial tabs!

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets?

I take anti-malarial medication when visiting high or medium risk malaria areas. I never take them on visiting the north coast of Dom Rep because it is very low risk. Much of the travel advice is based upon the whole of the Dominican Republic being a malaria area but all the evidence I've ever found shows pockets of malaria in DR, none near the north coast.

Basically, if you are going to worry about it, take the tablets, if you aren't, then don't is my advice. I don't & don't.

I advise everyone, whether taking anti-malarial medication or not, to read up about malaria and be aware that medication is not 100% effective, so if you develop 'flu like symptoms' within a year of returning home, ask for a malaria screening.

[edited: Shouldn't type and watch The Daily Show at the same time... I'm not a woman, I can't multi-task!]

Edited: 15 August 2011, 23:17
Mentioned in this post
Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets?

I always take what my doctor tells me to! They know best!

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets?

For those on this Forum who try to understand and limit risk to their immune system (as you only get one for the duration, and damage can bring on other problems), and also for those who agree with the sound advice of those who live on the North Coast, and NOT for those who take what the doctor prescribes because obviously he/she knows best I will second the motion that anti malarials DO NOT guarantee resistance to the disease but DO guarantee a strong possiblity of some or all of the following: Diarrhea, pain, vision distortion/issues, hair loss and mental difficulties.

Despite this sound and practical application of common sense and science, there are those who still bet their future health on a belief in better living through chemistry. I ask those believers to consider remaining in your suburban bungalow and don't venture in to the big bad world....you won't get Malaria and you won't miss an episode of some dreary sitcom.

There simply is no malaria in Playa Dorada/Puerto Plata/and The North Gold Coast. Have a great holiday on one of the most beautiful island paradises in the world, and stop believing your GP is a God.

Pura Vida

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets?

"I always take what my doctor tells me to! They know best!"

The problem is, they don't (in my opinion). Have you ever seen the map that the practice nurses look at re malaria? The whole country is 'red' because there isn't enough detail to display hot spots, which in DR are generally in land or near the Haiti border. The mosquito can only travel a short distance (usually less than one mile in its lifetime). The east coast has very occasional outbreaks, rare enough that I would personally probably not take anti-malarial medication but frequent enough that I would not want to post advice, certainly without much more research. The north coast last had a tourist become ill that I'm aware of, more than five years ago.

For the record, I've never suffered side-effects when I've taken anti-malarial meds, but I do wonder how often the people who 'got food poisoning' were actually suffering side effects?

Do a personal risk assessment, weigh up all the evidence, check your travel insurance (mine makes no mention of being invalidated if I don't take meds). Then make a personal decision about the risk and likelihood of the disease compared to the risk and likelihood of the side-effects.

PS My pedantic wife pointed out that Risk=Hazard x Likelihood but I'm sure you understood!

Mentioned in this post
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
England
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets?

Hi,

Where is the best place to buy Avloclor tablets from?

Thanks

Carol

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets?

Carol,

You can buy Avloclor from any chemist,even Asda, Sainsbury and Tesco if they have a pharmacy within the store.

Angie.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata